Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X and Ableton Live

leff321

Hi :)

I have a few questions. (After trying with headphones)

First of all I have an ok sound card (fireface uc) and I will try not to compare hd500x, as a sound card, with fireface uc.

If I should do that I must say that the pod don't quite cut it :-) To bad really... Then I could just use the pod, my macbook, tubeamp, and pa monitor :-) Anyway...:

How does the pod blend the audio from ableton live... and where?

Do I have to do something to make the signal from pod (with the amp-sims and effects) go first and then ableton live? Or will this happen if I am using the main out, and not the headphones, through an monitor or something like that?

With headphones I heard a fase problem or something like that. Maybe direct out and ableton live effects... It soundet a bit weird.

Well... maybe somebody can direct me to a forum-post or similar to explane me what to do and not :)

Thanx in advance :)

(off course I'm have problems with the hardware also... trying to use the tuner... hm... if I'm lucky. It just don't like me. One button can just deside to activate several buttons...)

Forgot something... Not in studio, live gigs!

I use both HD500X and Ableton, so I'll try to help if I can. 

If you are not using the HD as an audio interface and simply running it into the Fireface the signal will be treated by as any outside signal would be.  Meaning it's just straight audio coming into the interface.  

The phasing you heard COULD happen if you are monitoring the direct signal from the HD into your interface AND the signal routed into Ableton and then out of your interface. 

The ms of latency that are added would cause this phasing. 

I'm going to kind of go through the steps I would go through, so forgive me if I'm stating obvious things you've already done. 

In Ableton you'd select your audio interface (fireface) as your audio device.  Select the relevant channel input from your audio interface, say input 1, on the track in your Ableton project that you want your guitar signal to go through.  Physically plug the output of the HD into the corresponding input (input 1 in this case) on your Fireface. 

When you record enable that track in Ableton you should hear your signal coming out of the speakers. 

I have never used a Fireface, but one thing to look out for is to make sure that the direct signal from your HD (input 1) isn't being directly monitored.  So if you turn off the record enable for your guitar track in Ableton you won't hear anything come out of the speakers/headphones.  If you still hear your guitar signal when the record enable is turned off then you are getting direct monitoring from the Fireface.  Turning off direct monitoring means all your guitar signal goes through Ableton and none directly feeds out to the speakers/headphones.  

If you don't want/need your signal to be monitored through Ableton you can turn off monitoring for your guitar track and turn on direct monitoring via the Fireface for your guitar (input 1).  This way you will hear the signal go straight through the Fireface (no latency), but it will still be recorded in Ableton.  

I have recently been playing around with using the HD500X as an audio interface/midi controller only for Ableton with good results.  I'm using a mix of VST plug ins for the guitar tones and some of Ableton's effects for some more "far out" tones.  It's a really fun setup and once I adjusted buffer sizes I'm able to get very good results.  One thing to mention if you do this type of setup you will need to either mute the hardware monitoring on the HD (available in the control panel settings), or not monitor your guitar in Ableton.  You run into the same phasing issues talked about above. 

The only add on I've needed is a MIDI to USB adapter since the HD doesn't do Midi over USB.  Which isn't a huge deal, but a bummer because I was so close to only needing 1 USB cable to do everything :)

Feel free to ask any more questions you may have and I'll try to help out best I can. 

I would also suggest taking a look over at the forums on the Ableton website.  It's very active and I'm sure it can be of assistance as well. 

Good luck!

I have recently been playing around with using the HD500X as an audio interface/midi controller only for Ableton with good results.  I'm using a mix of VST plug ins for the guitar tones and some of Ableton's effects for some more "far out" tones.  It's a really fun setup and once I adjusted buffer sizes I'm able to get very good results.  One thing to mention if you do this type of setup you will need to either mute the hardware monitoring on the HD (available in the control panel settings), or not monitor your guitar in Ableton.  You run into the same phasing issues talked about above. 

There was the answer I think :) Not time to try it out right now. I was talking about just using the podhd500x and not the fireface uc.

Thanx!

• 2 years later...

Hi! Thanks for posting!

I want to use the HD 500x to send and recieve tempo via MIDI or USB - I currently have the POD HD500x plugged in via MIDI and Im not able to map the tap button to the tap in ableton, or find a way for the HD500x to recieve MIDI tempo information from Ableton

Suggestions?

• 10 months later...

I am using a Pod GX by line 6 and am trying to connect to ableton live 9. Audio Driver it only shows "core audio" or "no audio." Is the driver supposed to be an ASIO driver? why won't it show up? I keep getting my case escalated in emails through line 6 tech support it would be really neat if someone helped me with this.