Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Maybe they should build wireless capability into the Helix? That is where a higher price point does not seem to be a problem.

There aren't anywhere NEAR enough Variax owners for that to make sense...it would be a horrendous financial decision on their part.

If it's gonna cost $1K for wireless VDI, as the powers that be have indicated, then building it into Helix will push it to a $2500 unit...there are plenty of folks (such as myself) who haven't moved on from the 500X because the current $1500 price tag isn't exactly chump-change...adding another grand isn't gonna convince anybody who's on the fence to take the plunge.

If it's gonna cost $1K for wireless VDI, as the powers that be have indicated, then building it into Helix will push it to a $2500 unit...there are plenty of folks (such as myself) who haven't moved on from the 500X because the current $1500 price tag isn't exactly chump-change...adding another grand isn't gonna convince anybody who's on the fence to take the plunge.

Agreed.  But perhaps as a high-end option on the Helix.  Look what people are willing to pay for a Kemper Profiling rig including the foot controller, it's around $2100.  And that is not wireless either.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep dreaming.  Sorry, ain't gonna happen.  Yes, it is possible, but you are also talking about it being expensive (2 way wireless communication), and chewing up 2 precious digital channels.

Remember, that Line 6 is in this to make a profit.  Without a profit there is no incentive to keep making cool stuff for us to purchase.  Folks have been asking for this for years now.  If Line 6 thought they could manufacture this, and sell it at a price point to be profitable, I'm sure they would.

As someone else pointed out in another thread on the same topic not too long ago, it's just one more thing to break during your performance!

That said, if someone wants to create this magical device, and figure a way to mass produce it efficiently, I'm sure that Line 6 would pay a tidy sum for your patent.  After all this time, I'm sure that the wizards at Line 6 HAVE thought about it.   :)

would it ever be possible for the jtv have a 4 conductor 1/4 inch cable to do the same thing that the cat5 does now?  Or at least have a more heavy duty cat 5.  I just feel that if i walk too far I am going to damage my cable in the middle of the show.

would it ever be possible for the jtv have a 4 conductor 1/4 inch cable to do the same thing that the cat5 does now? Or at least have a more heavy duty cat 5. I just feel that if i walk too far I am going to damage my cable in the middle of the show.

Don't try and use the crappy cable that comes with the guitar. That's only intended for connecting to Workbench. You'll end up destroying the cable and/or the jack. You need to get another VDI. L6 sells longer ones with metal housing on both ends...it's OK, but not wonderful. There are other places on line to get more robust cables. Someone will chime in with a source. Can't remember off the top of my head.

Don't try and use the crappy cable that comes with the guitar. That's only intended for connecting to Workbench. You'll end up destroying the cable and/or the jack. You need to get another VDI. L6 sells longer ones with metal housing on both ends...it's OK, but not wonderful. There are other places on line to get more robust cables. Someone will chime in with a source. Can't remember off the top of my head.

The cable that came with the guitar is only meant to be used to hook the guitar up to your computer so you can use workbench. Using it while actually playing will lead to a big issue. It wouldn't take much for it to be ripped out of the socket. That's why the one Line 6 sells has the housing over the connector.

Any Ethercon cable can do it - I can find 50m ones on Amazon but 10m (over 30') is probably enough for most guitarist.

I got mine from Andertons in the UK and I don't believe it was the Line 6 version; it is more flexible than most guitar leads and it plenty long enough for the stages and rehearsal spaces we use.

Best use the VDI cables with the Canon shells on the ends. Regular CAT5 can be loose,

and loose can cause spikes and intermittencies. They come in 25ft lengths. Going past 30ft

and impedance becomes a problem. Need a tight contact and the right impedance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Analyzing the economics of it by only thinking about units sold of the wireless, does not tell the whole story. How many people would buy all three IF it was wireless?

Not sure, but all the coolness of the Variax and Helix combo are useless without VDI. Also from a marketing standpoint. Any big guns thinking about using the "dream rig" combination of variax and Helix live, will have to decide if they can handle using a VDI cable.

• 5 months later...

Even if one doesnt get exactly what VDI gives you - a wireless solution - even if just to send exactly the same digital data - one way- to a receiver - is clearly possible because that is what the G10 does. For under hundred bucks!

If all Line 6 did was put the components of the G10 transmitter inside the variax body - excluding of course its battery and jack - it would remove some clutter. And not add much cost.
A reliable digital two way connection for the very tiny amount of information required to switch models on the variax, or send program change information and midi CC information to a HELIX - would take more development effort and expense - and need either bluetooth or wifi connection or some proprietary method. But still doable. It *wouldnt* be VDI of course. It would be different. But still doable.

And compared to the efforts required to come up with digital modelling and all the piezo pickup stuff research wise - i doubt would take up **that** significant an amount of research effort.
The control information for example doesnt even require the bit rates of conventional MIDI - and that bitrate is by modern standards tiny. even if one were sending the MIDI for all 6 strings at once the data stream wouldn't be that dense. And I'm not suggesting they send MIDI for the strings anyway.

I think it is short-sighted to not be working on adding this functionality and L6 are missing a huge opportunity to add much greater desirability to the idea of using a Variax on stage. Or at home for that matter.

And for what its worth - it would also be nice to be able to charge the variax by simply plugging a charging cable into it - instead of having to take out a battery and charge it all the time.

These things are a hassle, spoiling the enjoyment.

Clearly to send control data back up to the variax - from a HELIX or other unit would be the bigger challenge here - but not an insurmountable one. 

Bluetooth 5 is round the corner - increasing range. And even if all we had was - as i said - G10 functionality built into the guitar it would eliminate clutter - and reduce battery charging hassles. 

And the battery in future variaxes needs to be improved anyway in order to have longer battery life.  the G10 battery currently lasts for much longer than the variax battery before requiring a recharge. 

• 2 years later...

I think the problem will not be how to pass the data through the VDI cable.  The problem will be to have a wireless emitter with the capacity to supply power to transmit via wireless and also supply power to variax (when the VDI cable is connected to variax it is no longer powered by battery).

Can you imagine the weight the Battery would have ....

Edited by vespinha

7 hours ago, vespinha said:

I think the problem will not be how to pass the data through the VDI cable.  The problem will be to have a wireless emitter with the capacity to supply power to transmit via wireless and also supply power to variax (when the VDI cable is connected to variax it is no longer powered by battery).

Can you imagine the weight the Battery would have ....

As pointless as this discussion is, not to mention the fact that this thread is 3 years old...but why on earth would the wireless unit also have to power the guitar itself? It already has a battery. Never mind, it doesn't matter... we're not getting one either way.