Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV Neck Replacement Pics

• 4 weeks later...

Specracer986,  Can you elaborate on the tone difference between your maple neck and your mahogany one?  I put a nice, thin, wide vintage Ibanez Wizard neck on my JTV-69 (had to file some heel away and re-drill).  It looked and worked great and I used it for years.  But fret wear (and maybe my aging hands) made it hard to play so I put the (hardly used) original neck back on.  At the same time, I chenged strings from Jazz, wound-G, 12's (I do a lot of acoustic modeling at church) to a set of 11's.  It sets up and plays easier, but all my HD-500 settings sound brighter.  I'm not sure if it is the neck or the strings.  I'm tempted to spring for a Warmoth standard thin neck and wonder if mahogany would warm it up.  By the way, your mahogany headstock looks real nice with the sunburst JTV.

Variax JTV 69-Ibanez Neck Project 8-2012.JPG

When I had the two JTV's at the same time, I was using my first FRFR with my Helix, a DXR12. This was before high and low cuts became common knowledge, and I was fighting high end sizzle and artifacts. The maple neck JTV seemed to exacerbate the problem more than the mahogany neck JTV did. It wasn't a huge difference, but every time I would A/B them back to back with the same patch and settings, the maple neck would seem a little brighter. This was always using the same strings and a Variax sim, not the mag pickups. The only other difference between the two guitars was the maple neck was a short Gibson 24 3/4" scale length. I don't know if the scale length had any effect on the tone. Anyway, I sold the maple neck JTV and kept the mahogany neck sunburst.  That neck is a standard thin profile and still feels really good in my hand. Plus I like the bubinga fretboard.  Before you change necks, you should experiment with strings, because they do make a difference, especially if you changed brands as well as gauge. I remember that the stock neck had very nice acoustic tone and good sustain. It was just a little too bulky for me. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, there are more cost effective ways to warm it up for sure.  The global EQ on the HD500 for starters.  Part of my motivation is just to get a thinner neck again and stainless steel frets.  The Ibanez Wizard neck was so thin, and the stock JTV neck so chunky that it's an unwelcome change.  The extra mass of the chunky JTV neck might enhance high frequencies too.  On the other hand, as soon as I pull the trigger on a Warmoth Standard Thin neck, Yamaha/Line 6 may announce a new second generation Ultra-JTV and I'll wish I had the cash back.  Who knows.

• 2 months later...
On 10/20/2020 at 6:18 PM, lectricfrets said:

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, there are more cost effective ways to warm it up for sure.  The global EQ on the HD500 for starters.  Part of my motivation is just to get a thinner neck again and stainless steel frets.  The Ibanez Wizard neck was so thin, and the stock JTV neck so chunky that it's an unwelcome change.  The extra mass of the chunky JTV neck might enhance high frequencies too.  On the other hand, as soon as I pull the trigger on a Warmoth Standard Thin neck, Yamaha/Line 6 may announce a new second generation Ultra-JTV and I'll wish I had the cash back.  Who knows.

Did you order a custom spec neck or one that was in stock, that is if you pulled the trigger? Curious as to how long for you to get yours if you did already. I ordered a custom one with a spray finish beginning of Nov and the email order said 8-10 weeks. Not sure how back ordered they currently are. 

Jd

1 hour ago, jakeman19 said:

Did you order a custom spec neck or one that was in stock, that is if you pulled the trigger? Curious as to how long for you to get yours if you did already. I ordered a custom one with a spray finish beginning of Nov and the email order said 8-10 weeks. Not sure how back ordered they currently are. 

Jd

They were way behind the curve after the shutdown last spring... wouldn't surprise me if they're still playing catch up to some degree. Even their "in stock" selections are not a plentiful as usual.

On 1/10/2021 at 9:42 PM, cruisinon2 said:

They were way behind the curve after the shutdown last spring... wouldn't surprise me if they're still playing catch up to some degree. Even their "in stock" selections are not a plentiful as usual.

Well, for those whom need to know, Warmoth shipped my neck yesterday so the shipping 8-10 weeks is at 8 weeks. Once I get mine on, I'll post a picture or two. Cheers!

Jd 

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I just happen to have a really nice Warmoth replacement neck that is prepped to fit on a JTV-69 for sale.

I had this neck mounted on a JTV-69 I had but I ended up selling that guitar. I decided it would be better & easier to return the JTV to stock & sell the neck separately.  I modified the neck mounting holes to fit the JTV-69 hole pattern and it worked out really well.

Anyway, if you're looking for a good replacement neck for your JTV, please check out this one. Hit me up if you have questions!

Warmoth Stratocaster Neck / JTV-69 Variax Neck - in Excellent Condition - TGP listing...