Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Which Line 6 Home Recording/Practice Set-Up is Best? (For recording metal/rock music)

Hey everyone, I'm just wondering if anyone has an opinion on this... It's been a while having lost all my equipment 4 years ago right when my band was very active. But right now I'm looking to get a home setup where I can easily record and practice. Nothing crazy or fancy, but something I can setup fairly quickly or take with me, but also something that will allow me to produce and record demos for my metal/nu-metal band, Caidema (http://www.facebook.com/caidemaband). 

I'm really interested in a direct recording But I also know that just mic'ing an amp can be much better. After a lot of research for my budget ($300) I've been looking at the Line 6 POD UX1 and the POD UX2. I'm Leaning more towards the Line 6 POD UX1 more than the other. What I'm not sure about is if if I should go with the UX1, or one of these: Line 6 POD 2.0, POD XT, or Pocket POD. All I need is to be able to plug my guitar and headphones into it (without an amplifier) and be able to practice whenever, wherever (and not lollipop off the neighbors.) I also need to be able to turn on my computer,set everything up, load up the PODfarm, audacity and record my guitar, vocals, etc. I have $300 to get what I need for the setup, required cables and wires, and microphone if possible.

Down the line I'll buy more equipment, but for now I just need a simple "I live on my grandfather's couch" setup. Just not sure which one of those I should go with. OR would it be better to go with my other option: buy a 15-30w Line 6 spider amp, buy a microphone to mic the amp, and buy a different USB Audio Interface. (All for under $300 somehow)

What do you guys think? 

Line 6 POD Studio UX1 or Line 6 POD 2.0, Line 6 PODxt, POD Pocket
(Or if there is any other product I don't have listed please let me know)

â€¢ Line 6 POD Studio UX1 (with Podfarm)

â€¢ Line 6 POD 2.0

ʉۢ Line 6 Pocket Pod (used)

Keep in mind the PODxt is a legacy item.,

That being said, IMHO it is a good starter, the nice about it is you can direct record the modeled sounds, and use it as a standalone with no computer.

However, the UX series offers a nice recording workflow, and gives you the plug-in.

With a budget of $300, you should be able to score a POD X3, it is also legacy, but in a nutshell, it is a PODxt X 2, and comes fully loaded with all the model packs, and you would have POD Farm 1.12 plug-in.

As you move forward, you may want to research compiling Audacity with ASIO drivers or moving into a DAW that supports ASIO.

Are you familiar with amp micing?

I would second the X3 but would score an XT while waiting for a deal on one - depends on the $ and you can always flip the XT later. If you do check out some used XTs watch the startup screen to see if any model packs are already loaded. They will be functional until you register it or if the seller is cool transfers the pack to your account then they are yours.

Also check out Reaper for use as a DAW mostly so you can add drums to the tracks.

Score an old Peavey 1x12 Bandit run it into the FX loop and you have practice band volume to spare too.

-B

• Upvote 1

With a $300 budget you should be able to get a used POD HD 300/400/500.  Record direct without needing POD Farm.  Plenty of low cost DAW's out there.

Far better than the other stuff and you can take it to rehearsals, auditions, open mics, gigs...

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, if you can get a used HD500, go for it. Then you have a useful tool for recording, but also for jamming / gigging / etc. You can do a whole lot with that thing, and since the newer HD500x are out, you will be able to find a used unit for that $300 range.

Guitar Center has a few currently on their 'used' gear website for $279, $249, $299, in various locations around the country.

There is one at the Guitar Center in Nashua, New Hamplollipope for $249.

Mine is almost five years old, and still works fine. I have been eyeing the HD500x, but haven't had the need to upgrade yet. I am guessing there are folks out there who upgraded to the HD500x when it came out, and would unload their HD500 for a nice price.

That option gives you a bunch of future 'expansion' options, while having the sweet HD amp models. Some folks prefer the quantity of the amp models in the older X3 / XT gear - I prefer the quality of the amps in the HD line. Not to mention the FX; I just hear them as being better. Especially when you are listening carefully, doing recording in 24bit/96k - it makes a difference. There is also an Ampeg bass amp model in there, for some additional recording options. Tons of EQ's, compressors, boosts, drives - and definitely some amp models that will work quite well for metal / nu-metal / your metal..

Some things to consider there-

-USB to computer low-latency recording and playback as ASIO soundcard

-XLR input, 1/4" input

-Stereo FX loop

-Stereo XLR outputs and Stereo 1/4" outputs + headphone outputs
-Output modes : studio/direct for recording, or to main mix / PA, or combo/poweramp modes for connecting to FX return or front input of guitar amp

-MIDI in / MIDI out

'expansion options' down the road:

-Line6Link for use with DT amps and StageSource speakers

-VDI input for Variax

Reverb.com has charted the selling price of HD500 units (used) over several months, definitely in that $200-$300 range.

As they get older, the footswitches can be an issue, hence the 'redeisgned' footswitches on the 500x. You will notice when you are reading descriptions, sometimes people will mention if a bank up/down is acting up, or maybe the tuner / tap tempo footswitch.

FS7 is acting weird on mine, but hasn't gone out yet.

So yeah, worth keeping an eye out for a 'problem' unit. But as both a soundcard + footboard, you can't go wrong.

Having the ability to impact the tones you are working with your feet whil recording is quite beneficial; put some wah in there, volume pedal swells - whammy pitch shift dive bombs!! You get the idea.

But for me, in your case, the key would be having the tones on the board, dial in for recording, and have the same tone to take with you, offline so to speak - it's not depending on the computer to make the tones.

Plus, one last thing; the HD500 software is excellent, so building patches / tones with a computer to use while recording will be outstanding. I liked the visual vibes of the PodFarm stuff, the HD500 editor is along the same lines.

• Upvote 1