Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4 Cable 6505+ help

nitefly5150

I have a POD HD500 I bought specifically to use the four cable method so I could use it for the clean preamps (6505+ is too dirty when adjusted for a good rhythm sound).  The sounds where I have the effects loop on are fine, but the clean one is far too low with everything maxed out to match the 6505+ on 2 (post volume).

Can anybody help?  I'm about to trade this thing for a few pedals.

TIA.

If you are using a pre-amp in the POD and bypassing the one in the amp then the volume on the 6505 won't matter. That volume knob is before the FX loop. You have to think of the 6505 as being maxed out. The power amp is always on 10.

A couple hints:

Keep the Master Volume knob on the POD (the one by the EXP pedal) all the way up and all the switches in the down position.

Set the volume on the amp within the patch all the way up.

Keep the mixer at the end of your signal chain and use it to control the overall volume.

There are multiple issues with your approach (using preamps in the POD and in the 6505). What you are doing is possible but there are just many many hurddles to overcome.

One big issue, and the main reason I would not suggest using your technique, is that once you have the volume set for the clean amp in the POD you are stuck at that level. The only way to change it is to go into the settings on the patch you created. As opposed to just being able to change the level on the amp.

Hopefully this helps. Reach out to me if you think I can help in any way. I have several videos on YouTube with Patches I have loaded to Custom Tone.

I tried the same thing with a 5150 and just gave up. Would love a good 4CM setup with a nice tube amp but there was too much tone suck and other issues like the one you are having. I decided to go all in on the pod as my preamp and run it directly into a tube power amp., using the preamp models on the pod....works great like that, i gig it regularly and am very happy with it..vreat tone and easy troublefree operation gigs.

Hopefully you have better luck with 4CM than me, but if you are picky about tone suck and level matching, i found the pod hd inadequate for it. The upcoming FX8 looks promising feature wise (especially the built in amp relays).

After much time with a DSL401, Blackstar HT-5 and a VHT special 6 ultra, I can quite honestly advise you to forget about the 4CM altogether.  It works, but if you are at all fussy about your tone the volume drop at the FX send is too nuch to overcome.  I sold mine and am going to try pedals for awhile.  The HD did sound pretty good when I just went staight to the FX return of the DSL, so I may pick up an HD bean at some point.