Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bought Used Where to start

Greetings, I just purchased a POD 2.0 used from a Guitar store, there is no warranty, and no software included, I created an account with Line 6 and downloaded all the PDF's I could find on the POD 2.0. I also downloaded the license manager software and installed that, it registered my laptop. Next I think I need to plug in my POD to my router and see if the license software picks it up and then register that and then hopefully the software will find the software I need to reset my POD to the factory defaults? I also downloaded Line 6 Monkey, but not sure what that is for.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, So I have installed the Monkey, but when I try to follow the instructions by powering on the POD 2.0 while holding down the MIDI button I get this:

POD 2.0 update failed.

(Code 8000900C) MIDI device timed out waiting for response.

Try the update again, making sure the cables are still connected.

Any ideas on why? (yes the MIDI is plugged in and seems to be working). I also have an ethernet cable plugged in but it does not seem to work either.

Can I install the POD farm?

Also, when the Monkey first starts I don't see the POD 2.0 listed, just like an HD and XD and xt, but no standard POD 2.0?

mine just says : POD The ultimate Guitar Direct Box Version 2.0 Line 6 (AMP MODELS 17-32)

Well I can say I am pretty disappointed with the support (actually there is none) with POD 2.0, it does not work with Pod Farm, Line 6 Edit, or Line 6 Monkey.

The only bright spot I guess is for $75 bucks I got a pretty neat foot switch for my amp and guitar, too bad it does not live up to the Line 6 reputation of working with computers and being customizable.

The POD 2.0 is not listed in any of the software as even an option to select, and if you select it (only tool that sort of worked or had it was Line 6 edit) it still can't connect with either MIDI to USB to the computer or a direct ethernet plug from the router to the device.

Or I just got screwed and I got a $75 foot switch only.

That is probably the last time I'll go to that store and I was going to buy a Line 6 amp (75 or 150 watt) but if this is how the software will work forget it. I'll stick with Fender or Roland.

Hey There my man,

Before you go punting the Pod let try a few things.

a) The midi/usb adaptor - what type are you using? The M-Audio Uno is the one that I know works (I use it).

b) Above the ethernet port does it say FBV? (there are two different 2.0 versions and that can determine which floorboard can be used).

All the software you will need is here: http://line6.com/software/

Pretty much all you are going to need is Line 6 Edit.

The midi/usb connection is the biggest hurdle after that its all downhill.

-Bill

As BillBee says, the most likely culprit is your (I bet) cheap USB to MIDI adapter. Line 6 Monkey will give you no funcionality. Line 6 Edit will allow you to customise and save your own patches. You cannot use PodFarm at all. It seems you're perhaps a little impatient and aren't really across what each piece of software does yet. Take your time, buy a decent interface and it will work.

I have been poking aorund the site looking for a single place where I can get the poop on what to do with a used Pod.

As I stated, I have a PodXT Bean and a Live I just bought.  Both of them have feature packs installed.  I guess it's Line6's perrogative to only license the model packs for the original owner.  I guess I feel like I paid for the unit with what is installed on it.  I would really feel slighted if I hooked up to download the latest firmware and the model packs were removed in the process.

Is that how it works?

Hey Bo,

Some model packs are included depending on the model of pod. The XTL comes with the FX Junkie and is always with it so that would never go. The XT, XT Pro, XTL come with the standard and the Power Pack.

If you bought the packs (triple pack is what I have) you can authorize them to be used an a variety of things (IMO they bring the XTs to life).

Check em out: http://line6.com/modelPacks/index.html

Or you could score an X3 in which case everything is already included :)

-B

As I stated, I have a PodXT Bean and a Live I just bought.  Both of them have feature packs installed.  I guess it's Line6's perrogative to only license the model packs for the original owner.  I guess I feel like I paid for the unit with what is installed on it.  I would really feel slighted if I hooked up to download the latest firmware and the model packs were removed in the process.

Is that how it works?

If you only had one POD and that was second-hand and the owner didn't sign the packs over to you, then yes using the licence manager would erase the packs. It is up to you and the seller to decide what you are buying, not Line 6.

If it's advertised as having the model packs and you are paying a little more as a result then the seller should sign them over to you. If he doesn't then he should sell it as standard and reduce the price. Obviously Line 6 cannot police what people do and do not include in the sale, that's up to the buyer to check.

In your case you have I believe the Metal Shop (or 'headbanger' as you descibed, lol) on your original Pod (bean). You should I believe be able to use that licence on up to four Line 6 products, so you should be able to get it on your Live too.

The Live came with FX Junkie as standard so it won't be erased by the licence manager but I'm not sure if you'd be able to transfer the licence for that onto your Pod (bean).

Yeah, I bought both of these from music go round and have no contact with the seller.  I am pretty sure both of these have the metal pack.  I need to check, but the live looks like it shows 3 model packs when it boots - for sure the effects junky one.  I recognize the icon for it.

Since the XTs are so old (didn't they come out in like 2003?) I can't imagine someone actually buying multiple feature packs at $50/crack.  I got both of these for about $100/each.  Also, i am guesing that it would be harder and harder to maintain that chain of custody to transfer them as they might get bought and sold a few times.

Well, it's silly I guess.  The reason i like the xt was because it was easy for me to understand.  I suppose I'll eventually have to knuckle down and learn to use one of the more modern units.

• 3 weeks later...

Surprised no one mentioned that it isnt an Ethernet port. It is an RJ45, but that doesnt mean ethernet. There is no networking involved, and plugging cable from your router to your POD wont do anything but maybe blow it up. (lol, not really.... probably......)

The RJ45 is only for the foot controllers. 

The POD 2.0 ONLY talks to the PC itself, and only via MIDI. You need an actual MIDI interface for this, as most USB->MIDI converters a complete joke. 

• 1 month later...

Try a Midisport UNO.

I had the same issue, computer would not find the Pod 2.0 and failed both my Focusrite and a MidiSport 2x2.

I don't think Monkey works with Pod 2.0, I think only Line6 Edit.

the solution came from this forum though

I'm using an iMac (osx 10.6.8)

Graze