Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi 150 stereo effect on guitar input

lyndasfarn12

I have been listening to the difference between stereo effects through the Aux, and the normal guitar input. When I connect a stereo send from another guitar pedal (Digitech RP1000) the stereo

effect is very effective and sounds great. On the other hand when using nomal guitar input with internal stereo delays the effect is not even noticeable. I don't know If that is normal or if my amp has a problem with sending sinal in stereo to guitar speakers. Has anyone else noticed the same problem

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there!

Just like a traditional amplifier, Ampllifi's guitar input is a mono input, so plugging in a 1/4 stereo cable will not give you a stereo spread. The AUX input on the other hand is stereo (such as; incase someone wants to jam with a track but doesn't have a bluetooth device, or wants to add a mic or keys). The only guitar effects that will be in stereo are those available with Amplifi. If it's a stereo effect, by placing the effect after the amp will give you its stereo function. 

• Upvote 1

Just like a traditional amplifier, Ampllifi's guitar input is a mono input, so plugging in a 1/4 stereo cable will not give you a stereo spread. 

I think the question pertains more to how the AMPLIFi handles the guitar effects as dispersed through it's speakers.

For example, say with an HD500: running a mono guitar signal into a stereo delay effect will still give stereo sound IF the speaker system can handle stereo.

Like, plugging a mono guitar signal -> HD500 -> ping pong delay ->stereo speaker configuration. Left, right, left, right.

The reality, is that the AMPLIFI amp *itself* acts like a single MONO speaker unless being connected with a pre-existing stereo signal, then it acts more like a stereo boombox. But it seems that the AMPLIFi amp models / FX are not routed through the STEREO portion of the speaker system, only the single MONO guitar amp speaker. This comment has been mentioned before, people saying they don't hear any stereo with the onboard effects.

I would guess this would be to prevent any overzealous playing to blow out or damage the substantially less robust / tinier / smaller 'stereo' speakers.

Just guesswork here, though piecing together the comments of people not hearing stereo when they think they should.

IE, run your mono guitar into a stereo delay effect, you expect to hear stereo. Instead you hear mono. 

If you go to the bottom of the linked page below and branch down to the Learn More about "How does Wet/Dry Amplification Work?" it shows that all the speakers are involved with your guitar tone.  However, only the POST effects are routed to the stereo speakers, all PRE effects and the amp tone goes to the main center speaker.  Now I don't have one of my own to play with but I suspect that how you build your tone will drastically affect how the wet/dry/wet sound is recreated.

Bottom line - to make sure you are getting the full stereo effect you must place your stereo effects like chorus, delay, etc. in the post section and adjust accordingly.

http://line6.com/amplifi/amp/

Now the new TT doesn't have that same capability.  Its more like a 500 from what I see, normal stereo, no wet/dry/wet.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

A week ago I bought an AMPLIFi 150. Very pleased with the sounds but I also noticed that the FX sound mono. I read the info on wet/dry in the link above and arranged FX modules in the order indicated. I set up a ping pong delay with maximum spread so that I could test the left/right stereophonic effect but still it sounds totally mono. With my ear near to the top left and right mid-range /tweeter I could hear no sound at all coming from them - only the centre 12" speaker.

The description on the link above says that core guitar tone is fed mono to the centre speaker and the stereo part of MOD, Delay and Reverb are sent to the midrange/tweeter speakers for spread.

What am I missing?

When I was arranging the order of FX modules (described above) I noticed white bracket lines appear when dragging FX across to another position. Anyone know what these white brackets are for?

A manual for AMPLIFi Remote would be great.

I have just done an experiment with my AMPLIFI 150 on this issue of stereo: I have connected the AMPLIFI 150 to my laptop and selected it as the ASIO driver in my DAW. I have programmed a very obvious stereo delay for the test. When I was monitoring through the DAW prior to recording I hear strictly mono. After I record a short section of guitar chords and play it back through the AMPLIFI 150 (all via usb) I hear a gloriously rich stereo sound.  I do not what this means but the AMPLIFI 150 is very capable of excellent stereo FX.

This must be a firmware bug (imo)

Macsax, can you hear the stereo fx through the PC (Mac?) speakers when you're monitoring the AMPLIFI as USB input (not through the AMPLIFI itself)?

I'm considering getting an AMPLIFI 150. The mono guitar effects aren't really a dealbreaker for me, but the WET/DRY info in the official page is clearly misleading.

I am using a Win 7 laptop. When recording via USB and AMPLIFI as an ASIO driver I can record with low latency but the monitored signal on AMPLIFi (at recording) is definitely mono. On playback (through AMPLIFI) I hear full width stereo.

I have established that stereo occurs:

USB connected playback

Line in on back of AMPLIFI

Bluetooth streaming of mp3s

MONO occurs:

USB connected recording

the mono guitar input socket

The fact that playback of a USB connected recording is stereo means that the signal path of the guitar jack input is stereo (where stereoFX such as chorus, delay, rev are at the end of the chain) BUT GETS SUMMED TO MONO AFTER THE LAST FX MODULE (but not before routing out via USB) BUT BEFORE ROUTING TO THE SPEAKERS. ( critique of my logic welcome).

It seems that a firmware tweak may be the cure for this anomaly (but what would I know). AMPLIFI is clearly described as "immersive" stereo on the product pages.

http://line6.com/amplifi/amp/

Just another thought regarding USB recording. In WINDOWS you can only have one ASIO device active at any one time so you have to choose the same device as input and output in your DAW. I have heard that MAC users can have 2 (or more) physical devices grouped together and both usable in the one DAW. e.g AMPLIFi as input ASIO device and some other soundcard like an AVID or M Audio as output device. Just maybe this would allow stereo monitoring while recording AND possibly a back-door stereo line out to the main PA mixer, that many people have "wish-listed" on this forum.

Anyone want to try it?

I was thinking on a workaround for the stereo problem. If you could monitor in stereo in your Wn PC (Sound->Recording Devices->AMPLIFI->Properties->Listen->Listen to this device) you could theoretically feed the line output from your PC back to the AMPLIFI in near real time.

Don't have the AMPLIFI, so I can't test my theory.

• 2 years later...

Ok so I have an Amplifi 150 and I wanna get another one to create a stereo rig by emulating tone/amp settings in one amp and completely different tone/amp settings in the 2nd amp ... so will each amp have different id's when using the Amplifi remote app ? Or will there be a problem with this idea....can anyone here or in Line6 help me set this up....? I have an ABY switcher to split the guitar mono to two outputs to go to one output per amp so far....

• 2 weeks later...

Cannot tell for sure, but the Android app has a configuration section that allows you to pick separate devices for Media playback and amplifi control - I assume it would let you pick different amplifi devices as it does with media ones, but since I only own a single Amplifi, I cannot tell for sure, but it would be a pretty artificial limitation if you could only use a single one.

What won't work is switching presets at the same time with just one remote. You would have to switch presets on device A, then go to settings to connect to device B, and then change presets on device B (or save them to the first bank so you can switch with the buttons on the device itself).