Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD hd500x for bass?

sideswipe

Hey guys, I am a bass player looking for a really good multiefect and I am a big fan of line6s PODs. Especially the hd500. Now, I didn't tried it out but I heard that the hd 500 is equally good for the bass and the guitar and has all sords of efects and bunch of amps is that true? I am not very in to it so that why I am asking. Also, I have a really good chance to buy the POD 500x, but I don't know is it that good for the bass as the guitar. Because I want to use it for my bass guitar, does it have a bunch of efects and amps? I saw that the POD pro has only one amp for the bass I don't know is it with the hd500x the same?  Anyway pls help me :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I am a guitar player. But I also use my pod for my bass. 

I would not suggest getting one exclusively for bass usage. But it is fine for the part time usage that I need. 

At the same time, since I am not a full time bass player, I do not know if this would be good for a full time bass machine because I do not have the bass knowledge that a ft player would have. 

In fact, before I even started using it for bass, I started my own thread asking what I should do. 

Check this out: 

http://line6.com/support/topic/8395-any-bass-tips-hd500/?do=findComment&comment=58062

• 2 months later...

I would not suggest getting one exclusively for bass usage. But it is fine for the part time usage that I need. 

At the same time, since I am not a full time bass player, I do not know if this would be good for a full time bass machine because I do not have the bass knowledge that a ft player would have. 

I used the factory settings live recently through a huge Martin line array system at a big event. I was totally blown away at the sounds of the presets that are in the HD500x. I nave downloaded and am anxious to try the above presets. I "would" suggest getting one exclusively for bass usage. It is better than anything I have ever used, including Aguilar.

Hey guys, I am a bass player looking for a really good multiefect and I am a big fan of line6s PODs. Especially the hd500. Now, I didn't tried it out but I heard that the hd 500 is equally good for the bass and the guitar and has all sords of efects and bunch of amps is that true? I am not very in to it so that why I am asking. Also, I have a really good chance to buy the POD 500x, but I don't know is it that good for the bass as the guitar. Because I want to use it for my bass guitar, does it have a bunch of efects and amps? I saw that the POD pro has only one amp for the bass I don't know is it with the hd500x the same?  Anyway pls help me :)

If you are getting the 500x, there will be some new bass model packs coming along in a month or so! Of which, I am definitely excited.

I play guitar in a band now, but I played bass for a while in a previous band, and still enjoy working on bass tones for recording in studio and at home.

As it is now, even if you just used it as a pedal / FX processor, it's still pretty awesome. I was just thinking that same thought too; might try setting up some bass patches to go from HD500 to some Stagesource speakers. They handle bass just fine when I use them for doing mixing or as floor monitors.

Also, with the ability of the HD500 to do dual paths, you can run a wet/dry setup, which is sweet for bass - clean signal pass through, with parallel funkiness going on - pitch shifting, wahs, phasers, whatever. OR you could set up a stereo bass rig, which would be entertaining too!

Last but not least, it has a looper, which could be cool for doing bass solos - lay down the funky bass line for the band to jam along with, then groove out on top of it.

I think the bass pack is $29?

Bass Pack: (HD)

1. Ampeg SVT Normal,

2. Ampeg SVT Bright,

3. Gallien-Kruger 800RB,

4. SVT 8x10 cab,

5. SVT 410 HLF cab 

I got a 400 a side BXR Fender Bass amp and it modulates enough without any FX but it depends on the gig.

Usually I am playing standard rock covers and not much else is needed.

But I have used the HD 4CM and found some of the FX in the HD500 just superb with bass and there is plenty of room for creative uses with dual channels like have a distortion amp with bass rolled off layered with FX on one path and a cleaner unaltered tone thru the other path.

Now there is a bass pack coming out I will definitely say YES worth it!

Sometimes to tone you get becomes your inspiration.

• 1 year later...

I see this is an old thread, but I'll post here in case it comes up as a search result. 

I just got a Pod HD500 for guitar, but I predominantly play bass guitar. Because I have a great bass amp, I'm not really looking for amp/cab models. I'm planning to make a setlist of bass tones that will provide a range of modulation/thickening, dynamics control (for slap), ambience, env filters, and some more heavy synth and octaved tones. 

There are some settings in the system pages like input impedance, and "focus" that I think will prove to be important when I start to work out the details. I need to make a little cheat-sheet about which of those settings are global and which ones are preset based.

Thanks! I've added those to my cheat sheet.

I would love to see Eden bass amps & cabs added to their systems. Though they aren't tubes, they still have lovely tone and are very nice to tweak.. I also wish the bass pack was more like $10 or 15. 

I have a Zoom MS-100BT that has excellent bass amp sims-- also the acoustic guitar sim is very musical and nice sounding. For some reason it is a little noisier in some venues, but has the most excellent ZNR noise reduction, so it's workable.

The combination of the MS-100BT in the loop of the HD500 gives me lots of options.