Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Plugged In Same Time As 1/4 Jack 2nd Guitar

medbad5150

I use the variax sparingly, but as I use the variax lead into the HD500 to not use battery, does this effect my other guitar sound. I thought not until recently live onstage, I noticed a dip in the volume from my main guitar, I thought I would test it during sound check. I keep the Variax plugged to change quickly between guitars.

should not be a problem, you might want to set the input exclusively to the instrument you want on your tone to avoid any issues...

unless you use the same tone for both... then you might have a little bleed in or something if its not 100% at 0 volume.

I used to do this all the time with my X3L and my HD500 -- have my JTV59 plugged in the VDI, and my spare regular electric LP plugged in the 1/4" guitar jack. I set both inputs to be on (VAX & Guitar inputs on), but just rolled the volume down on the guitar not in use. You have to do this as the guitar you're not playing will still vibrate sympathetically to the amplified one you're playing.... It happened to me, where I got a feedback from the guitar on the stand. It blossomed into a howl before I checked its volume knob... Oops... I used my spare regular electric with the same patches as my JTV for the occasional broken string. I never had any issues with one affecting the other tonally or volume wise. The LP and the 59 were quite similar in tone and volume, so I used the same set of patches for both.

Sympathetic feedback was real bad with my acoustic/electric Ovation (plugged in Aux) -- so I made sure the Aux was active only on the patches I set for the Ovation. All other patches, I turned off the Aux input...

It was handy to just pick up the guitar and roll up the volume on it and play. Now I use 2 JTV's (a 69S and a 59), so don't have anything plugged in the Guitar or Aux inputs. The acoustic models made it unnecessary to take the Ovation. The downside to that is unplugging and plugging in (at the guitar)  when I change between the 69S & the 59. I also have a different set list for each the 69S & the 59, as their mag pup's have different sounds and levels. BUT I have the same sounds from both the JTV's models and special tunings, etc.

Dave