Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

500X Bag or Case Solution

RobYat

New here and been searching the threads for bag or case solution for my 500x.  I added an extra mission exp pedal and use a poly tune pedal also.  I'm wondering if anyone has an suggestions for either a soft bag to pack up my gear or a hard case to just open up and use on stage?

I know that's 2 questions in one but hoping someone can sway me one way or another.

Thanks!

I got lucky, was able to score a used Tarcase from a guy on craigslist. There are a ton of random options, in terms of cases that have lift off lids, where you would velcro the unit down to the lid.

Rondo is a cheap / affordable option, I used one of those with my old X3Live.

I use a Diago pedalboard case with my M13 and have it next to a VoiceLive 3, I am guessing that size would accommodate the HD500x with the extra exp pedal (Mission Engineering ,good choice, I've got the same one!)

Here are some links:

Tarcase for HD500 (good luck if you can find one, buy it!)

Diago pedalboards

Diago 'Showman' pedalboard on Musicians Friend  ($170)

Rondo pedalboard cases

Thanks for the replies. Colonel, I saw that thread and I have been looking for a Tarcase. What do you think of the Rondo? I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for and definitely want something that will take some "ab"use if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the replies. Colonel, I saw that thread and I have been looking for a Tarcase. What do you think of the Rondo? I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for and definitely want something that will take some "ab"use if you know what I mean.

I never had a lot of problems with the Rondo case, but it is definitely a light weight aluminum type material. 

When I had my X3Live, I lined the lid with a dense foam mat material and that worked just ok. It was a little spongy when I would use the two switch to turn on/off the wah

One caveat / note; the Tarcase case is not a light option; with the HD500 and exp pedal in it, the thing is *heavy*.

That being said, it's also insanely sturdy. I like how the HD500 pockets into it; I didn't actually even need to velcro the thing down.

I also like the extra 'depth', which means the XLR / VDI / Line6Link / 1/4" cables, etc are not hanging off the back of the board, they remain reasonably protected. With the Rondo, if I remember correctly, all the cables hang past the back lip of the case lid, which always made me somewhat nervous - an ill placed footstep could cause some major issues.

Line 6 dimensions.xlsxAs far as cases go, I created an excel spreadsheet using some found on on the L6 website, but with case options.
See below for its attachment.

I added the tab about a year ago when I was looking for one for my XT Live, but also wanted to make sure that it would fit my eventual and current upgrade to the 500X.

That's pretty organized Squirrel.  I must have flipped back and forth to the line 6 page looking at those dimensions a hundred times.  I think there are a lot of options with the Tarcase.  If needed you could tilt the pedals slightly.

Sold!

On the Tarcase, is the POD tilted any? I'm thinking about building something similar to the Tarcase myself. Doesn't look like it woudl be too hard to build.

The POD is level and the foam is cut perfectly to hold it in place.  The switches are all at the right height and there is a raiser to the right for a second pedal.  There is a large space behind the POD for other pedals, power strip, cord storage...

I looked at building my own too and might save some dough buying the pieces separately but would have taken a lot of work to get something as nice and professional as this is... wasn't worth the effort in the end...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thought I would share...

I move my HD-500 all the time and wanted it protected, and also easily set up. After scouring the internet for solutions, I decided to get a flight case. I order this model: http://www.rondomusic.com/product7514.html

It does add to weight, but being pre-wired it is only two cables from operational. Please do your diligence and check measurements before ordering as specs may have changed. So far so good.

In order to cain access to all of the rear jacks and outputs, I determined that the floor needed to be raised by 1/2 inch. I bought 5/8 plywood and cut it to the shape of the case. The final shape of the plywood floor had to be planed to ensure a secure fit.

I painted it black and drilled holes to fit the rubber feet. The unit is secured with velcro tape. I installed a power bar with a detachable power chord and my G30 using the same velcro tape and used cable grommets to secure cabling.

Results have been fantastic. I am portable, I only take the guitar and HD500 for rehearsals and add an amp when we do shows where i need a stage source. Been very pleased and hope this helps someone.

Here are some pics

post-1670382-0-69958800-1422067338_thumb.jpgpost-1670382-0-29689100-1422067293_thumb.jpgpost-1670382-0-19423800-1422067315_thumb.jpgThought I would share...

I move my HD-500 all the time and wanted it protected, and also easily set up. After scouring the internet for solutions, I decided to get a flight case. I order this model: http://www.rondomusic.com/product7514.html

It does add to weight, but being pre-wired it is only two cables from operational. Please do your diligence and check measurements before ordering as specs may have changed. So far so good.

In order to gain access to all of the rear jacks and outputs, I determined that the floor needed to be raised by 1/2 inch. I bought 5/8 plywood and cut it to the shape of the case. The final shape of the plywood floor had to be planed to ensure a secure fit.

I painted it black and drilled holes to fit the rubber feet. The unit is secured with velcro tape. I installed a power bar with a detachable power chord and my G30 using the same velcro tape and used cable grommets to secure cabling.

Results have been fantastic. I am portable, I only take the guitar and HD500 for rehearsals and add an amp when we do shows where i need a stage source. Been very pleased and hope this helps someone.

Here are some pics.

• Upvote 1

Travel cases are a separate issue, because some people's travelling needs are different. A 'gig bag' tossed in your back seat is fine for some people. Others, not so much. 

But as far as gigging goes... 

Again, depending on your setup... 

I don't see it being that hard to have a custom made board/box. Then you can have all of accessories - expression pedals, wireless, power strips. etc - put exactly where you need them to be. Get on stage, open it up, and everything you need is just where you need it to be. Just hook up to the main power and main sound, and you are ready to go.  

Places like Lowe's, or even Wal-Mart, make access to supplies a snap. 

• 3 months later...

That, I think, is going to need to be custom made. Or at least modified. 

You can modify a Jackson Rhoads case to fit a pod and a Strat. Or maybe a Gibson SG Double Neck. Anything case that starts wider than normal. 

But, ultimately, it would be easier to custom make it from scratch. 

I've been in many situations over the years. So screaming things out like 'custom made' is not that big of a deal to me. If you want something that doesn't exist, you either invent it, or pay someone to invent it -- that is why most people are in business; to serve an unfulfilled need in the market place. 

I have a new gig bag. The Line 6 FG5 bag that fits the HD500X perfectly.

Send me a private message if you are interested.

Here is a link to the bag I purchased.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PODXTLiveBag?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=DSA_-_Product&adpos=1t1&device=c&network=g&gclid=CMjR54OcqMUCFVc6gQod8CAA-Q

I have a new gig bag. The Line 6 FG5 bag that fits the HD500X perfectly.

Send me a private message if you are interested.

Here is a link to the bag I purchased.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PODXTLiveBag?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=DSA_-_Product&adpos=1t1&device=c&network=g&gclid=CMjR54OcqMUCFVc6gQod8CAA-Q

It fits...however, the zipper pulls are the worst I've ever seen. All four were gone within just a couple of weeks of use. 2 simply kept falling off...the first few times I noticed and put them back on, but they were eventually gone. And on the other two, the little hook that held the pull itself on snapped off completely. And it was not thrown around or abused...hell, I didn't have it long enough to abuse it.

I've had this bag since last July. Not sure how these zipper pulls would ever fall off. Maybe they changed the design.

For some reason, the forum is not letting me post pictures today. Here is a link to the zipper pull on my bag.

http://www.leesteel.com/l6/zipper.jpg

Those pulls are definitely different than what I had...but the pull itself really isn't the issue. The part you actually grab could be a paper clip, as long as it stayed on...it's the part that the pull hooks onto that snapped off (for 2 of them), and for the others, there was too big a gap between the hook and the body of the zipper itself, so they just kept falling off. Perhaps  yours are better...

I've been using one of these and like it a lot:  

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Road-Runner-Pedalboard-All-In-1-Gig-Bag-105462360-i1471720.gc

It fits the HD well and the way it's designed I can just leave the HD in the bag and never have to take it out.  

I would recommend using 90 degree cable ends if you go this route because there isn't that much room between the back of the HD and the edge of the bag. 

Not as robust as some other cases I've seen, and probably not the best solution for everyone, but it's been a good solution for my needs.  

I've been using one of these and like it a lot:  

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Road-Runner-Pedalboard-All-In-1-Gig-Bag-105462360-i1471720.gc

It fits the HD well and the way it's designed I can just leave the HD in the bag and never have to take it out.  

I would recommend using 90 degree cable ends if you go this route because there isn't that much room between the back of the HD and the edge of the bag. 

Not as robust as some other cases I've seen, and probably not the best solution for everyone, but it's been a good solution for my needs.  

and you can't beat the $39.99 price tag on it!!!!

Did I misread that? 

Didn't this last guy ask for a case that held both a guitar and a pod...

yea, I saw that too but that's not a good thing to do...... could damage the guitar if it's a soft case.

I understand this just does not exist. 

Nor would it. 

Guitar cases are made for guitars. A Gibson Les Paul does not fit in a Fender Stratocaster case. A Strat does not fit in a Les Paul case. Neither fit in a V case. 

They only work for the guitar they are made for. Generic cases (ones that fit all 3 body styles) offer absolutely no protection other than from rain and dust. 

BUT, that doesn't mean it can't be made. 

It just means that Fender isn't going make a line of cases that properly protect their instruments AND protect a specific product from a competing company. 

Have one custom made. 

This is what I use

http://www.goclc.com/products/Work-Gear-Softside-Tool-Carriers-Bags-Backpacks/1111

Put my 4CM with power and midi snake, extra hoses, and HD500X on top. It has held up well, and very much protects my HD500X

GC tried to sell me a case that looks like the stitching would fall out immediately, and wouldn't protected my HD from a fart.