Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just Picked Up a DT25... Advice for Multiple Use

SteelPastor

I just picked up a used DT25 combo to pair with an HD500.  Starting from scratch and looking for an idiot-proof setup that will be used by several players.  All play some version of dual HB LP style guitars.

I would love to download some PROVEN edits that can be easily relied upon by these players.

Most are familiar with the Flextone III combo with longboard.

Advice?

Here's a thread that I started a while back.

A little ways down, there is a zip file with a setlist containing a basic, fairly leveled preset list with every amp pre in the hd500.

Might be a good way to click through each amp to find the ones you like.

I think the inputs on the presets are set

Input 1: Variax

Input 2: same

You will want to change input 1 to Guitar

Here's a thread that I started a while back.

A little ways down, there is a zip file with a setlist containing a basic, fairly leveled preset list with every amp pre in the hd500.

Might be a good way to click through each amp to find the ones you like.

I think the inputs on the presets are set

Input 1: Variax

Input 2: same

You will want to change input 1 to Guitar

you forgot to include link - I think!

Connect the HD500 to a computer, get familiar with the HD500 edit software - it will make your life wayyy easier.

There are multiple groups of banks on the HD500, each with four presets per bank, A,B,C,D

You may end up creating certain "templates" which can be copied into various groupings, and using the software to do this

is reasonably quick and painless.

With the DT - HD500 combo, make sure you get some proper AES/EBU cabling to connect using the Line6Link port. Standard XLR will work, but it's worth the extra $ to get the correct cable to ensure you don't incur random glitches due to cabling issues.

Next, load up some of the pre-loaded patches, and take a look at how they are constructed. Again, using the software makes this easier and far more visual, intuitive, at least it does for me.

In terms of the types of settings that can carry through a 'template', it would involve effects and amp models which don't change type - just settings. Once you choose a different effect or amp model, it resets to the preset values associated with it.

So, things like, a bank of four patches, where you keep the amp model the same, maybe edit volume or drive, and any of the effects options you might want to change. Things like wah, volume pedal, noise gate, EQ, - effects that are likely to be included in multiple patches, put those into a blank template tone patch, and copy it to the desktop of your computer. Then you can drag and drop copies of that 'base' tone into a bank of four, and edit accordingly.

In general, patch changes cause a very subtle dropout while the patch changes. When using a DT, and choosing the "PRE" amp models (preamp models) and letting the Bogner side of the DT do it's amp reconfiguration, you might want to avoid major shifts from amp models whose core power or volume differences are extreme. Like going from the Vox to the Marshall stack or Bogner or Mesa Boogie. The more the amp has to reconfigure on the fly like that, the more sound related issues you may notice.

So, you could approach it by building a completely blank patch, or one with the basic effects you would like to keep constant - say maybe, wah, volume pedal, noise gate, eq. You could also approach the creation of your 'template' patch by pre-assigning the footswitch settings to the un-assigned effects blocks. I often set reverb as FS 4, delay as FS3, modulation as FS2, and drive/boost/comp as FS1.. You have two options for how to configure the 8 FS usasge, in this case, I am referring to the bottom row of FS 5-8 switches causing A-B-C-D patch changes, and the top row of FS 1-4 doing effects on/off triggers.

So get a basic of blank template, and start auditioning the various amp models, using the PRE versions, L6Linked to the DT. For getting a proper sense of things, run it in full volume mode, not low volume mode. The HD500 will automatically switch to combo/poweramp mode when you do this, so you don't need to worry about mic model assignments.

Just scroll through the amp models, in that one template or blank patch. Make note of which amp models you think work well together, and which you would like to focus on. For the exploration of your group of players, you could build one 'setlist' of just each of the amp models in sequence, with nothing else on. Good place to start, just the guitar and the amp.

I like the Plexi model alot, I use it often. I also like the Fender Bassman Tweed model, I use that one a fair bit too.

I made some banks with four copies of the same preset, same amp model, and same effects options - just made A, B, C, D increase the gain of the amp model, while keeping the overall level balanced across all three. So A was clean, B was gritty, C was crunchy, and D was saturated. I left the FS assignments for compressor and boost / overdrive to achieve "lead" tone volume boost on all four patches. Sometimes leads should be clean, sometimes crunchy, sometimes saturated - but they each need a volume boost to make it pop in the mix.

You could make patches in basic groupings, so they have similar level adjustments - the high gain modern amps are wayyyyyy louder than the more 'vintage' classic rock type combo amp models. Procede with caution when scrolling through the amp models; it will go from normal room volume to screaming feedback blow your ears out loud, say from a Fender blackface model to the Mesa Boogie or the Bogner models. Mostly, because since you are only digitally modeling the preamps, the Bogner DT side of things is "becoming" the associated power amp. Bigger louder amps are correspondingly huger in volume than the smaller amps. Scared myself silly more than once scrolling past those high gain amps! Again, another good reason to use the software editor, makes this kind of auditioning patch creating experience far easier to manage.

Seems like the types of guitars going in are similar, depending on how many people total, you could assign them each their own 'setlist' of patches in banks, so they will each have some of the same patches that you make, and some blank patches, and whatever they come up with from Customtone. 

You could also put together patches based on the songs being played, or the general "style". You could also organize banks of four with different types of patch, like "clean", "crunch", "funk", "lead/solo", "rhythm", etc. In that case, just watch out for drastic shifts in amp model type or overall volume settings from patch to patch