Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Failed Jtv-59 (korean) 2 Years Old, Wire Connector Terminal Repair

Hi I have a major problem with my JTV-59 (bought used in 2011). I live in the U.A.E and sending the guitar to a service center will be ridiculously expensive.

The issue I have is that the 2 wires have broken from the crimp terminals on the large connector to the main variax processor board. I always have had an issue where sometimes my JTV would go off in the middle of usage and yesterday it wouldn't come on at all so I checked and found the 2 wires broken, they were stressed by other connections.

I am a qualified (DIY) luthier and very comfortable with electronics and delicate soldering so if I could get the smallest available part, I could easily solder it back to the switches. I can probably repair it myself by soldering the wires back to the terminals but thought I'd check if there is a better option. I would be of course be willing to pay for any replacement parts and am liable for my own repairs.

Line 6 has really come through for me in the past on support and I hope they can help me find a solution again. I've already opened a support ticket but am posting this here since I can't attach pics to the ticket.

post-1381548-0-71383700-1371728997_thumb.jpg

Hi I have a major problem with my JTV-59 (bought used in 2011). I live in the U.A.E and sending the guitar to a service center will be ridiculously expensive.

The issue I have is that the 2 wires have broken from the crimp terminals on the large connector to the main variax processor board. I always have had an issue where sometimes my JTV would go off in the middle of usage and yesterday it wouldn't come on at all so I checked and found the 2 wires broken, they were stressed by other connections.

I would recommend you take a shot at re-soldering those pins.  The trick is going to be keeping solder from flowing into the area where the little lock "tang" is.  Maybe you can use some small needle-nose pliers as a heat sink to prevent that.  Otherwise, you'd have to figure out who OEM'ed that multipin plug and purchase replacement pins from them.  And, even if you can figure out who made the connector, you're probably looking at a minimum order of some sort.

Resoldering the pins was my initial plan but I figured it would be better to get new terminals and recrimp them as it would be more reliable as the terminals are really delicate and and change to the shape could make the connection fail.

I spent some time on the molex and a few other sites trying the find the right connector but couldn't locate a match so I thought best to try line6 directly first, either if they could replace the part, send me some terminals or tell me which ones are used It would be better,

In the worst case if I'm on my own I'll just solder it and use your tips to prevent the solder flowing in the wrong parts.