Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What's the best footswitch for changing channels on the DT50

Brazzy

I was experimenting for a while using the POD as a pure efx board (no amps selected) then switching between the two channels on the DT with the foot switch as it allows you to use the A channel's internal preamp as well as Channel B without having it coming from the POD (a little discovery I made). It was an interesting experiment and worked fine although I have gone back to using the preamps in the POD. I found that there is a sonic differential between the POD preamps and the DT's internal preamps. For a while, I also had the POD preamp model on a foot switch to disable it so it would then force the DT to go to Channel B and use one of the 4 the internal preamps as set. Another interesting experiment. I did all this mainly for comparison reasons when I first got the rig as I was exploring tonal options. Also, as you mentioned Martin, if the POD goes down you then have a way to foot switch between the two channels of the DT which would definitely be handy. Considering the relative low cost of a foot switch, I felt it was worth it to have around, plus I felt the little foot switch input jack on the the back was getting lonely ... lol. 

• Upvote 1

Curious on why you'd need this if you own an HD (unless you want to use the DT w/o the HD)?

Enjoy reading your posts ;-)

I enjoy your posts too!!

I was experimenting for a while using the POD as a pure efx board (no amps selected) then switching between the two channels on the DT with the foot switch as it allows you to use the A channel's internal preamp as well as Channel B without having it coming from the POD (a little discovery I made). It was an interesting experiment and worked fine although I have gone back to using the preamps in the POD. I found that there is a sonic differential between the POD preamps and the DT's internal preamps. For a while, I also had the POD preamp model on a foot switch to disable it so it would then force the DT to go to Channel B and use one of the 4 the internal preamps as set. Another interesting experiment. I did all this mainly for comparison reasons when I first got the rig as I was exploring tonal options. Also, as you mentioned Martin, if the POD goes down you then have a way to foot switch between the two channels of the DT which would definitely be handy. Considering the relative low cost of a foot switch, I felt it was worth it to have around, plus I felt the little foot switch input jack on the the back was getting lonely ... lol. 

Thanks for the replys guys, your experiences have taught me quite a bit over time as it takes a while for knowledge to seep deep into my coconut, lol.

Good question Martin, having the option of just using a switch for simpler playing sessions sounds good to me. I tried a simple homemade momentary switch with a TS cord and it changes channels and holds as long as you keep your foot on the switch, which is kinda cool for some quick in and out of clean to dirt type play. I use it that way sometimes :).

Good info geppert, It takes a good amount of time to figure out options so I really appreciate the input. I have much respect for people who work with these sorts of things.

I think I need a latching switch next to that momentary switch box I made recently, lol.

I was experimenting for a while using the POD as a pure efx board (no amps selected) then switching between the two channels on the DT with the foot switch as it allows you to use the A channel's internal preamp as well as Channel B without having it coming from the POD (a little discovery I made). It was an interesting experiment and worked fine although I have gone back to using the preamps in the POD.

Yes, I thought of trying this as well but there is only so much time. But your feedback raises an interesting question:

Have you tried (intentionally or by accident) a sequential dual preamp configuration?

What I mean by that is running a preamp in path B on the HD, turning the amp in path A off (which makes the DT switch to channel B) and thus run the output of the HD preamp into the input of the DT preamp.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

I am having some trouble making this work.. I bought a Hughes and Kettner 2-button footswitch, with a stereo 1/4" plug at the end (TRS?)

But it does not work to control channel switching, or reverb, or really anything on the DT25, in 'standalone' mode... I am guessing I bought the wrong kind of footswitch, anyone know if this Marshall footswitch will work? It says dual latching, that could be what I got wrong on the H&K..

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PEDL-91003

I am having some trouble making this work.. I bought a Hughes and Kettner 2-button footswitch, with a stereo 1/4" plug at the end (TRS?)

But it does not work to control channel switching, or reverb, or really anything on the DT25, in 'standalone' mode... I am guessing I bought the wrong kind of footswitch, anyone know if this Marshall footswitch will work? It says dual latching, that could be what I got wrong on the H&K..

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PEDL-91003

I never got a foot switch for the DT50. I've tried a momentary switch box that I used with my UX2. It's momentary that uses a mono cable and if you pressed the switch and held it the DT switched channels but if you let off the switch it changed back. So I would say a mono latching is whats needed. I was just using the HD500 via L6 link or just going into the front of the DT for the most part.

I think this one is the one I would need for the DT50. I think the DT25 is different in that I thought I read somewhere that the reverb could be also be controlled, not sure though. The DT50 can only switch channels as far as I know.

This one's mono latching.

http://hosatech.com/product/fsc-384/

FSC-384_RGB_856.jpg

Footswitch Guitar-style, Single-latching

The FSC-384 footswitch by Hosa Technology is an incredible value. A sturdy, extruded aluminum chassis makes it strong enough to withstand the rigors of the road. Simply connect a 1/4 in TS cable (sold separately) from the footswitch to the unit you wish to control, and you’re set.

A latching footswitch is designed for guitar amp channel switching, signal processor on-off switching, and similar electronic device functions.

Consult your owner’s manual to ensure compatibility.

Connector: 1/4 in TS

Edited by Brazzy