Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd 500 400 300 Discontinued Production?

malexand20

The HD 500 is gone from Musicians Friend as well. I would think we should be expecting an announcement soon!

not according to this-

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/line-6-pod-hd500-guitar-multi-effects-processor

i checked all the places listed on the buy now page. i think sweetwater and gc are the only stores that don't have them

if this is really the case, its kinda dumb...why not go ahead redo a few more things in the layout instead of just re-hashing the hardware with a better processor...maybe they'll give the original HD500 owners a big discount on a trade-in since they can probably just re-work the old chassis and make a 500x.

if this is really the case, its kinda dumb...why not go ahead redo a few more things in the layout instead of just re-hashing the hardware with a better processor...maybe they'll give the original HD500 owners a big discount on a trade-in since they can probably just re-work the old chassis and make a 500x.

maybe they'll send us a chip like the pod 2-0 :rolleyes:

This is the main DSP chip we are talking about not a PROM. According to this thread http://line6.com/support/thread/82979 the chip is:

POD HD DSP: SHARC ADSP-21369 at 333 MHz (KSZ-2A), 2.4 GFLOPS costing $30 (USD)

To get double the DSP you need a new processor that runs at a higher clock speed (internally and/or externally) and possibly costs a lot more (AXE FX uses TigerSHARC at $200 per unit).

The existing motherboard probably can't cope with the upgrade (e.g. higher clock speed) at least without changing other components, and there is no way that Line-6 is going to give away $30 processors to their existing customer base - it is going to be a significant proportion of the money taken from the original sale.

Unless you are in the beta-test programme that is... while I know that Expert <> Beta Tester, but there is some overlap between the two and not many Experts are responding to this thread...  Is the NDA keeping them quiet?  :ph34r:

The experts are busy pointing all the newbies to meambobbo's guide. They will comment after something is official.

Maybe they are busy learning how the new EQ using Hz works in the 500x. Perhaps they are busy testing out the new amp models that will be released with it?

I'm just curious to see if they integrated the power supply and/or put a right angle plug on it. More robust USB port, perhaps?

• Upvote 1

i agree

This is the main DSP chip we are talking about not a PROM. According to this thread http://line6.com/support/thread/82979 the chip is:

POD HD DSP: SHARC ADSP-21369 at 333 MHz (KSZ-2A), 2.4 GFLOPS costing $30 (USD)

To get double the DSP you need a new processor that runs at a higher clock speed (internally and/or externally) and possibly costs a lot more (AXE FX uses TigerSHARC at $200 per unit).

The existing motherboard probably can't cope with the upgrade (e.g. higher clock speed) at least without changing other components, and there is no way that Line-6 is going to give away $30 processors to their existing customer base - it is going to be a significant proportion of the money taken from the original sale.

Unless you are in the beta-test programme that is... while I know that Expert <> Beta Tester, but there is some overlap between the two and not many Experts are responding to this thread...  Is the NDA keeping them quiet?  :ph34r:

i agree

If this is going to be like the XT to X3 using the same amp modeling, I won't be upgrading or even tempted to upgrade!

It makes a lot  sense though to stop the HD500 production since the newer chips are probably the same price, heck the older chips at some point can can become a special order and can cost more. Dual amps (not dual paths) is really waste of resources the way I see it, but to each there own. The best guitar recordings of all time were done with Mono Tracks, the best real world guitar amps sounds are also MONO, so  two stereo amps paths in parallel doesn't translate into better sound or tone. For special effects or sound design maybe, but for all intended purposes, the DSP limitation of the HD500 is not a limitation to creativity in any way. You can still have one amp with dual path of any effects you like.

• Upvote 1

If this is going to be like the XT to X3 using the same amp modeling, I won't be upgrading or even tempted to upgrade!

I agree...I currently use dual amps for "dual cabs" purposes (same amp, different cabs) just because I can't find a single amp/cab tone I'm completely satisfied with.

With a better modeling, EQ or at least the chance to load externar IRs I guess I could easily avoid dual amps (and I would gladly do it).

Besides I've already learned to live with the DSP power I have at my disposal, even using "dual cab" patches, so if that's gonna be the only upgrade of the new unit, I'll definitely keep my HD500.

Seems like a lot of current users share the same thoughts about this...that's something Line 6 should take in consideration before releasing a new POD, imho.

I just hope they don't leave us, existing users, hung out to dry.
There's so much of the basic stuff that they still need to adress.
Eq, "no amp" or "power amp" model as it was on XT and X3 (to use the HD with an external preamp), different output modes in different outputs...

I just tried Amplitube SLash, the finger response is not as good as the HD but if you can get used to that, it sounds as good if not better than similar amps in the HD. I'm actually anticipating Revalver and Amplitube 4. Fortunately there are many companies and we'e not limited. I'm sure line 6 will refine these amps simply because they have to keep up with the competition and if they don't, they will be left behind, it's that simple.

I just tried Amplitube SLash, the finger response is not as good as the HD but if you can get used to that, it sounds as good if not better than similar amps in the HD. I'm actually anticipating Revalver and Amplitube 4. Fortunately there are many companies and we'e not limited. I'm sure line 6 will refine these amps simply because they have to keep up with the competition and if they don't, they will be left behind, it's that simple.

Amplitube's got a lot going for it; the SLO100 and ANGER (ENGL Powerball) are both VERY usable, and pleasing to the ear-holes. :D And Revalver is amazing, especially when you've got all the settings maxed on it, it's darn near indistinguishable from the real thing. Only gripe with it is that when you've set all the settings to max, depending on what else you have running in the DAW it can make things chug( and not in the thrash context of the word). I know revalver MkIV is in the beta testing phase right, and according to the Peavey forum thread has been in development for the past 2yrs and completely overhauled, so I expect some great things from it, and amplitube is a KILLER sim and use it all the time. It's been a few years since they introduced 3, so 4 might be on its way, but considering how they've got their current business model built around the custom shop and current architecture I'm a little skeptical that it would anything other than a re-skin of their current product.

The sim that's really impressing me at the moment is Overloud's TH2 - I find most of the factory presets very usable right out of the box, ESPECIALLY the metal banks, and it sounds pretty spot on - I mean, I've heard some clips made from a kemper, and I've been able to recreate them with TH2 with uncanny authenticity. It needs to get more press because it's as good as they come my friends.

spaceatl, on 27 Jun 2013 - 09:55, said:snapback.png

:wub:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

But you just participated!? You didn't contribute, but you did participate.

spaceatl, on 27 Jun 2013 - 15:31, said:

snapback.png

:D

Just being ornery. Now you made my post look incorrect! Change yours back!

ghost writer

My two cents,

The HD500 and the DT50 are a great live sounding rig, and the HD500 into a computer sounds good also,

but the best sounding and responsive guitar amp sim software for a DAW is Scuffham Amps,  very responsive

and analog sounding. I use it as a standalone or recording into Pro Tools thru a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.

is really reasonable, around $100.  plus you can try it for a 15 day trial.

If the HD500 era ends, I will still use it live, it serves my needs. But will still look at Line 6. As they have one of 

the best amp modeling setups for live. I was going to look at getting a JTV, but will wait to see what Line 6 brings

next.

No, I don't have a lot of extra cash sitting around, but I have a slight G.A.S. problem.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

BMoe

Well at some point they have to update the Chip as prices of faster chips are similar if not cheaper than what the chip inside current 500 is. This is almost identical to updating your PC or Mac with a faster processor while all the programs and operating system remain the same. It's an opportunity to market your current product with a faster processor.

I doubt they would wait until inventory is dry before they announce the new machine (with the processor being the only viable difference), they would loose so much sales that way. When the new machine comes out,  the stores who still have the older machine give a clearance discount to consumers who don't need the fastest and the brightest who will be thrilled saving money when the only thing they would be missing out on is being able to run dual amps with two or three smart harmony and three reverbs in a row and bragging rights of having a faster processor. This is an update dictated by the market while the core product functionality is hardly effected...l

• Upvote 1

Sweetwater now says that more HD500s are arriving in stock.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PODHD500?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=COP28q2AirgCFdKj4Aod52sAvQ

It's Arriving Soon!
We've confirmed with Line 6 that more of this item should arrive within a few weeks. Order now to reserve yours, and we'll ship it the very same day we receive it from Line 6.

What will it take to kill these silly rumors?

Musician's Friend appears to have a placeholder page up already:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/line-6-pod-hd500x-guitar-multi-effects-processor

We'll see what the final specs and features are, but I'm convinced that a HD500X is coming soon. Yes, the photo is definitely a rendering of the product - but that is very common when a product is still in the manufacturing process. I've noticed some manufacturers never replace their renderings:

http://tascam.com/content/images/universal/product_detail/773/medium/im2x_image.jpg

http://www.behringer.com/assets/UT100_P0117_Right_View.jpg

Time will tell!

Idk if yall have coverd this or not but my new musicains friend mag has no line 6hd anything in it so I called them and they said they were selling all the hd500 they had left in stock so I asked, well are they coming out with a new model and the guy said they weren't at liberty to say lol

So I would guess they are coming out with a new one, just not sure when

I wonder if this also means there will be a POD HD PROX as well?   I have a POD HD PRO on backorder currently and perhaps I should just cancel that?   Might save me the trouble of returning it within 30 days anyway if they issue a new release of the Pro.    I certainly hope they do.

I wonder if this also means there will be a POD HD PROX as well?   I have a POD HD PRO on backorder currently and perhaps I should just cancel that?   Might save me the trouble of returning it within 30 days anyway if they issue a new release of the Pro.    I certainly hope they do.

Yeah, I'm interested in a Pro-X. I'm very happy with my Pro, but extra horsepower could be useful; hopfully makes the pitch-glide and intelligent pitch shifter track better. Not that they don't do a good job now, but a good-as-or-better-than a Morpheus drop-tuner for a pitch glider would make my life easier, and eventide-y pitch shifting would be nice too.

NAMM 2013 is only 10 days away.  I think we will see a new announcement at NAMM related to the HD POD series.  I just hope it does not make my HD 500 a door stop because the new unit is light years better.  I also hope that the new unit works with the DT series amps (as I have a DT 25).