Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sonic port vx mic white noise and overdriven

Islandboy

Hi all,

I've been having issues with recording vocals in Garageband on the ipad. There is a load of white noise in the recording. The vocal recording is in a vocal booth, so there's no interference from anywhere.

The signal is also too hot - even at '3' setting on the dial and at the recommended distance from the mic I get overdriven vocals. I'm converting the tracks into itunes as an .aif then importing into ProTools thereafter.

I like the concept of this device, but at the moment it is very frustrating to find it useable. I also need to massively roll off the higher frequencies. The silibance makes ears bleed. 

As a side note, I work in the mixing world, so I know what I'm doing, but I can't see light at the end of the tunnel with this as a vocal mic. If anyone can aid me here, I'd be very grateful. I'd like to blame the drivers. but there aren't any for mac ;) The mobilepod app is also not activated, so there are no amps or preamps selected that could make this noise.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. I use a pop filter and I'm about 12 inches away from the mic as recommended. The gain is on 3 and hardly makes the gauge needle move on the iPad. The White noise Levels are so high.

I'd hate to know what putting gain to 10 would do and what that could be useful for.

I'll try again with a gain setting of 1 and record it and post it here.

Thanks.

I had the same problem with mine, I think it's a device issue, maybe an analog preamp with cheap components (noisy).

I sent it to a friend of mine so he can see if there is a solution.

If it is no solution and it gets broken, no problem at all, I have the original sonic port that is pratically the same without mics.

That's worrying to hear. Is there any solution, or is it a faulty device or is it common on all Sonic Port VXs?

I tried it on setting 1 on the dial, but there was still a load of noise. Could one of the Line 6 techs please comment on this? The noise floor is horrendous.

I'd love to know how the audio for the marketing video was made, as it's as silent as you like. There must have been a huge amount of gate on there, especially if the vocals were compressed somewhat.

I'd love to clear this up and get back to what I imagined I would be doing with the device....rather than it sitting around doing nothing :(

Thanks.

I thought I was alone at first...

I made test videos stating this problem to line6 but they say there's no processing on their audio. I bet there is!!!

There's no way they can record audio with this device without white noise. You notice that audio is processed.

A friend of mine has exactly the same problems.

The "save me" video was recorded with sonic port vx and some eq, compression and reverb was applied. No denoising or gating. What you describe seems strange, especially with the gain at "1". What exactly is your setup? Are you making up a lot of gain somewhere in the chain?

White noise is unavoidable and we have to deal with it, but when it is too much, no 24 bit can save us!

The only way is to feed the mics with a strong sound source so the noise seems lower...

...or make low distance recordings with the proximity effect.

• 2 weeks later...