Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Atomic Reactor Series or Tech 21 Power Engine?

utubebenscott

I had a Atomic. I really liked it. T

The tubes do add certian vibe. Never had a power engine so can not comment on it. My Atomic did eventually die on me. The power supply crapped out. Since it was a old unit I did not attempt to repair it. Went with a DT25 combo to replace it and have not looked back.

• Upvote 2

I have had both PE60 2x12 and the Atomic 50w tube 1x12.......  The atomic reactor has a tweeter in it and is FRFR which for me was a winner for using acoustic models on the variax. It has has a lot more thump and really shines when you start cranking the power tubes...

The PE wasn't bad, served me well but if I had to choose i would go Atomic. Bearing in mind is may be flat response but its not Full Range.

They don't make the tube versions of atomics anymore I don't think so they would be scarce enough.

Why don't you look at line 6 stage source? they are FRFR and kick @ss

I'm looking at getting something to run my POD HD500 through, does anyone have either of these products? 

I'm told the Atomic series have a slight advantage due to having a tube section.

Depends what you are doing with it, but I wouldn't go with either.  If you are just running electric guitar through it, get a DT series.  I had a Power Engine.  Was quite disappointed and got a DT25 stack.  As has been pointed out, they aren't full range so they aren't great if you are running an acoustic through it, but it gives you power tube warmth and works with the HD500.  I have the full dream rig with a JTV69.  I run my acoustic patches out of the effects loop into the PA.  You can find some really nice deals.  Absolutely the way to go IMO.

I started with a Carvin TS100 when the XT first came out. I have had that amp since then and it's been great. I believe they are on sale right now as well.

100 Watts all tube, sounds great to me. I can turn up the POD and reduce the tube saturation by turning down the amp or vice versa and crank the power amp and control actual volume with the pod for some really great blues and heavy metal sounds.

I have a cabinet with Jensen speakers which I find have a decently flat response.

Not really sure what your price range is but I find this route means you can customize it more and swap out parts to get a sound you'll love.

Lots of different power amps out there as well.

• 3 weeks later...