Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500X 4CM - Tone Suck - Best Setup Method

formercakid

Hey there, the 4 cable method is used for the purpose of being able to choose which effects you would want pre or post to use with an amp having an effects loop. For example you can use this method the run an Overdive in front of the amp while your running a Reverb after the amp. 

Thanks, I am aware of the ways the loop can be used.  What I am looking for is the best way to utilize the loop feature to avoid tone suck.  The video I referenced is one way, it shows that if not configured properly the HD500 does suck tone.  I was wondering if there are more ways that accomplish the same.

Hey my man,

I am no expert but when I was looking at the 4CM I found this:

http://www.blackstaramps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=487&start=20

(Took me a while to search that back up) :) Basically input gain and loop placement.

All that info is on this site btw but one link was easier (the 4ME method - har har).

Hope that helps ya!

Bill -> runs an HD into a power amp FWIW

• 5 weeks later...

Is this the proper setup to avoid tone suck or are there other recommended setups that are better?

I'm going to get a bit cheeky here, but the best way to avoid the tone suck is to ditch the amp altogether and go with the Pod's preamp models and run the pod into a tube power amp. I did this after fighting 4cm for way to long and getting fed up, and am glad i did!

I'm going to get a bit cheeky here, but the best way to avoid the tone suck is to ditch the amp altogether and go with the Pod's preamp models and run the pod into a tube power amp. I did this after fighting 4cm for way to long and getting fed up, and am glad i did!

+1, and I'd recommend the Carvin TS100 for doing so.  Stick it into a 2 space rack, & you're good to go.  Otherwise, just plug into the return of any other tube amp, but I think the first method is better and less wasteful of the rest of a tube amps resources.  The TS100 has 4 12AX7's & 4 EL34's, can be ran stereo 50w/50w or bridged for a mono 100w.

The other option, and probably more favorable among Line 6 disciples, is The Dream Rig sans the Variax. 

This is also quite powerful, and far more editable as far as the power amp section is concerned than even using the very powerful & tone purist happy TS100.  With the DT series amps, you can adjust bias/hum/etc of the power amp section from the HD Edit panel.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

Just bumped into this thread and video a few days ago.

I have the HD500 for almost four years now and it never got under my skin. First I used it on my Laney IRT120H, and last September I bought the Marshall JVM410H Joe Satriani signature.

But with this video and settings... What can I say... Thanks man! Now the amp really SINGS! It was already incredible, but now it makes jaws drop to the floor.
I wish Line 6 took the effort to learn us those things. Not everyone of us has the time to figure these things out, so again: thanks for posting this. It was VERY helpful! 

Nic 

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the board Nic.

What you say is true - it does take some effort and understanding to get things to really sing and scream. As the modelers get more involved and realistic so does the learning curve. Time warp back in time with me and the fun it took to chain up a multi-unit rack and control it with midi and midi through. They could be a beast to setup (learning curve) but once they were done they were sweet.

It why we love the forums - lots of gold in them thar threads!

\m/ B \m/

• 3 months later...

I can't seem to get my guitar amp volume, tone controls to have any effect no matter what I do? As soon as I plug into the effect loop the Pod disables all of the controls on the amp. I want to experiment using the amps control knobs but they just have no effect once the Pod is plugged in, frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...

Idgante,

I should have saved that video on "effects blocks" but I can't seem to find it again. I'll have to go into the unit to remember what I did and hopefully post my procedure soon. Vaguely (I'm 61 yrs old so.......) I remember having to move the effects block behind the amp and adjusting the pans to center and upping the volumes, hope that helps. I also just bought a Peavey Bandit ( "silver stripe") and am using that amp with the HD500X, sounds great. The Yamaha amp is now my personal "PA" until we get a real one. Then I might use the Yamaha for stereo if I can figure out how to do it.

I ended up NOT using the effects loop on amp at all. just going guitar into POD and left/mono output into guitar amp, sounds fine. I just bought a X3 Live and am using a Pyle SM58 clone mic for vocals into the Yamaha G100-112 amp (the HD500X goes into a Peavey Bandit 112 for my guitar only). This has proven perfect for practicing with a keyboard friend who also uses his  Carvin keyboard amp and extra speaker as a "PA". I must say that these old 100 watt transistor amps work really well (and cheap) with the POD's, they are 2 channel amps with a great clean tone and an unusable (for me) distortion channel, but it's that wonderful clean channel that works so well with the POD's. I have a Carvin V3 100 watt all tube combo also but due to the ungodly weight of the thing I just use it at home. Plus both of the little 1x12" speaker amps are light and fit into my car trunk no problem. They can go louder than I would ever want to play for sure.

• 9 months later...

I spent days searching the internet for a solution to the volume drop I was experiencing using the Pod HD500X and the 4CM with my EVH combo or LBX. Turns out the solution was rather simple. All I am using the Pod for is effects in front of and in the loop of my EVH amps. I rely on my Evh blue channel for my guitar tone 😎

Once you have the pod connected to the amp using the 4CM, set your master volume to 12 o'clock. Then arrange the effects you want in front of the amp (make sure you disable the amp modelling) then after the mixer, insert an FX loop in one of the effects blocks. Sucks it takes up an effect position but what can you do. Then arrange the effects you want in the loop after the FX loop block. Simple as that. If you experience any volume loss plugging in via 4CM method compared to plugging in direct to the front of your amp, you can boost the signal accordingly in the FX loop block by increasing the db required on the return. For me I had to increase it 12db to get the same level of output. But it works flawlessly now, I get my EVH tone and all of the effects where I need them in the chain and no volume or output loss.

I have seen other posts talking about increasing levels in the mixer block, or adding an studio EQ to adjust levels....Maybe that was for something different? Not sure....But this is what worked for me and I am so glad I have the Pod and EVH paired and working seemlesly.

Happy tone chasing folks 😎 🤘 🎸