Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The New "Amplifi TT" : USB to computer Recording functionality?

ColonelForbin

Just received an email from Line6 advertising the special introductory sale price on the table tob (TT) version of the Amplifi gear.

What caught my interest, is the tag line about recording:

"Plus, with the super low-latency monitoring and easy standalone operation, Amplifi TT offers a much more satisfying and realistic guitar recording experience than ordinary tone plug-ins and apps."

What it doesn't say, is does that mean you can use this similar to their soundcard devices, via USB for direct to DAW recording?

That is one feature that was oddly absent from the 75 and 150 amps, and from the FX100 floorboard...

Perhaps a soon to be released firmware update will bring that functionality to the preceding Amplifi equipment?

http://line6.com/amplifi-tt-desktop-guitar-amp/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AmplifiTT

Yeah, the press release is really vague! It does strike me as the most practical of the whole AMPLiFi line; it is really weird that the recording USB function was not addressed in the amps and the floorboard.

The Sweetwater page sums it up as: "USB output for direct recording to your computer"

Digital Outputs 1 x S/PDIF (Optical) Other Outputs 1 x USB Type B, 1 x FireWire

In their connection diagrams, they just show it connected to PC while also connected to speakers.

Doesn't indicate whether it's full duplex, or if it can playback audio from the PC as a soundcard, though I would imagine that's reasonably likely, since all their previous POD tech could do exactly that.

http://l6c-acdn.line6.net/data/6/0a06439cefc4546408032e5ec/image/jpeg/play-record_r17295.jpeg

usb recording works like any other interface... will playback your DAW tracks through the TT while recording.

There are a whole bunch of existing AMPLIFi 75, 150 and FX100 owners yelling "WTF??????????????" right now...

Whether the previous offerings in the line will offer USB recording has been a persistent and ongoing question to which zero answer has been given, except for that which this device offers - if said customers are willing to spend yet more $$$.

I get it, savvy marketing campaign. There will always be "first buyers" who grab something when it comes out, and other who hold out for rounds 2, and in this case, round 3. All's fair in love and gear - they never stated the AMPLIFi 75, 150 or FX100 would *ever* have USB recording features.

Lol :)

not marketing or anything clever....

just the TT had the attention of the development staff and the feature got implemented before release.

i SUSPECT that the feature will come to the entire Amplifi line.... given time.

if you have a current amplifi that you're happy with.... i don't think that switching to a TT for this feature would be wise....

however if the TT format looks more to your liking.... go for it.