Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-59 Round 2!

I had one with 2.0 on it for a couple weeks, but I didn't bond with it because I didn't have time to adjust my play style and build new tones for it. I use a relay G50 since I run our sound too and need the freedom to leave the stage, so I will need to build all new tones and set up my model banks.

We are taking 6 months to rest and learn new songs, so this is the perfect time to try it again.

Well, not looking so good... Right out of the box, the bridge position for toggle switch cuts in and out when set to modeling, but works fine on mags.  It will change from bridge pickup to neck pickup tone while the swtich is still on bridge and stay that way or switch quickly back and forth..  I really hoped for a better experience this time.

This one's probably going back too.  It's a damn shame, as this one looks and plays beautifully, but I won't stand for defective out of the box.

• Upvote 1

Ok, did some more research.. and a little more troubleshooting..

Guitar was manufactured June of 2013.

Arrived with 2.10 firmware already on it.

2.10 didn't come out until 2014, correct?

Pulled the back plate off and looked at the toggle switch, which has corroded/brittle sheathing on some of the wires..

My hypothesis:

Guitar was returned under warranty work, a tech updated the firmware, flipped the switch a few times, it worked (temporarily) and he boxed it up and called it good.  They repackaged it and shipped it to Guitar Center as a new guitar, and I get to deal with the problem. 

I'm going to talk to Guitar Center about it and see if they will ship me a new one and I can exchange this one for it.  I'm not doing any warranty stuff with it, as I'm afraid someone else will simply end up saying there's nothing wrong and not fixing it, or calling it "defective" and it will end up in the general population after another half-lollipop "repair".  Not happy.

Ok, did some more research.. and a little more troubleshooting..

Guitar was manufactured June of 2013.

Arrived with 2.10 firmware already on it.

2.10 didn't come out until 2014, correct?

Pulled the back plate off and looked at the toggle switch, which has corroded/brittle sheathing on some of the wires..

My hypothesis:

Guitar was returned under warranty work, a tech updated the firmware, flipped the switch a few times, it worked (temporarily) and he boxed it up and called it good. They repackaged it and shipped it to Guitar Center as a new guitar, and I get to deal with the problem.

I'm going to talk to Guitar Center about it and see if they will ship me a new one and I can exchange this one for it. I'm not doing any warranty stuff with it, as I'm afraid someone else will simply end up saying there's nothing wrong and not fixing it, or calling it "defective" and it will end up in the general population after another half-lollipop "repair". Not happy.

That sucks. Get your money back and roll the dice with Sweetwater. Pleasant to deal with and twice the warranty period.

I'd love to know why those toggle switches are still an issue at this point. If you can stomach a Strat-style guitar, try a 69...they don't seem to have the toggle switch issues.

Both are excellent ideas. Sweetwater wouldn't match the price, and I can't play a strat style guitar. I don't like the scale and I feel like I'm fighting the guitar. Guitar center is shipping a replacement to me and sent me a return label for this one, so once the new one arrives and I put it through it's paces I will send back this first one and hopefully everything will be ok.

That sucks. Get your money back and roll the dice with Sweetwater. Pleasant to deal with and twice the warranty period.

I'd love to know why those toggle switches are still an issue at this point. If you can stomach a Strat-style guitar, try a 69...they don't seem to have the toggle switch issues.

When it comes in a sealed shipping box sealed with Line 6 tape, I beg to differ. I ordered it from the warehouse to make sure I got one that hasn't been abused. If it didn't have the Line 6 factory seal tape with the string reinforcements I'd be more inclined to believe that.

I generally order from Sweetwater, but they wouldn't do 15% off like Guitar Center would.  I like Sweetwater, but have been burned by their shipping a couple times.  2 day delivery sent as 5 day delivery, items missing from orders..

Wow, I just reread this post. It came out sounding much more condescending and jerky in text than I meant it.  All I meant to say was that it came from Line 6, no "ifs ands or buts" about it.  I honestly didn't mean it to sound like it did though.  Apologies!

Guitar Centre is somewhat notorious for recycling used/damaged units as new. I think your hypothesis is probably accurate, except that I doubt Line 6 was involved.

I'm gonna spin the wheel until they send me one that works.  Like I said, no shows coming up, so I have time.  Probably be here next Friday.  It is a shame, because I really do like the way this one plays, but seeing the corroded wires doesn't give me much confidence in this particular guitar long-term anyways, so a swap is my safest bet. 

Wow, I just reread this post. It came out sounding much more condescending and jerky in text than I meant it.  All I meant to say was that it came from Line 6, no "ifs ands or buts" about it.  I honestly didn't mean it to sound like it did though.  Apologies!

No problem. Text can be very unforgiving, and can sometimes come across differently than intended. Wish I could say it's never happened to me. :P  Thanks, and keep spinning the wheel. You'll find the right one soon.

You have the right to be frustrated with having trouble with getting a proper working guitar. These things are something that while we rather not have this problem at all, if it does come up, you feel like it should only happen once.

Sometimes people have bad lucks with these guitars, and there is a legit concern about the quality control of their products, but once you get a proper Variax, you're all good to go.

I think sending defective units is a good decision. I had a faulty switch which was fixed by contact cleaner, but sometimes stuff like that doesn't work, and doing stuff like that could void warranty, so best to send it back.

Ok... I may have a keeper here.. Low E doesn't give the twang sound like my original, and the toggle seems to work perfectly.  Manufactured July of 2013, and had 1.71 firmware on it.  I'm guessing it's never been played before.  Setup out of the box isn't as good as the previous two, but it's playable.  Updated firmware and I will diddle with it more tomorrow.  I got Cherry Sunburst this time instead of Tobacco like the last 2..

Maybe it's all about the color lol.  I'll keep you posted.

Final post about it: Nut was a little to the treble side, so the high E slipped off when chording or even slight bends.  Adjusted nut and action, put a little electrical tape under string on Low E to eliminate the metallic "Ping!" sound and she seems to be dialed in.  About time!