Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sonic Port VX new user tricks (Iphone +Windows)

Hi guys, I am very excited at the new vx i just purchased. Unfortunately, the only iOS device I own is an Iphone5s with garageband. So far what I could do is to jam along songs on my Iphone, record using garageband. Here are a few questions I would love to receive answers, be it Line6 support or you guys fellow users:

1. If I want to record my guitar and vocals into Windows, which software and setup should I use? If i were to record guitar using windows interface, is there anyway I can get effects like mobile pod? 

2. Ok, if iOS is really important,  I would run mobilePOD using my iphone, can the output transfer whatever sound mobilepod creates into the recording software I have in my windows computer? SO guitar -> sonic port (connected to iphone) -> computer 

3. Lastly, regarding iphone usage. Is there anyway I can just play songs on youtube or spotify and record singalong or play guitar along via sonicport  at the same time? 

Thank you 

1. If I want to record my guitar and vocals into Windows, which software and setup should I use?

I recommend Cubase. It's an excellent recording software that is compatible with Windows. You can connect  your guitar to your Sonic Port VX and connect that to your computer.

If i were to record guitar using windows interface, is there anyway I can get effects like mobile pod? 

In a software format, you could use POD Farm. Hundreds of albums are recorded using this software:

http://line6.com/podfarm/index.html

2. Ok, if iOS is really important,  I would run mobilePOD using my iphone, can the output transfer whatever sound mobilepod creates into the recording software I have in my windows computer? SO guitar -> sonic port (connected to iphone) -> computer 

YES! If you, by chance, already own another interface for your computer or you have a 3.5MM input, you could use MOBILE POD tones from your iPhone and output the sound from your Sonic Port VX via the TRS balanced outputs to your other interface, or from the headphone output of the SPVX to the 3.5MM input of your computer.

3. Lastly, regarding iphone usage. Is there anyway I can just play songs on youtube or spotify and record singalong or play guitar along via sonicport  at the same time?

Unfortunately, they way the YouTube app is setup it turns off when you minimize the app, so you can't go back and forth. I imagine Spotify is the same, although I haven't tried it. The MOBILE POD app allows you to access the music on your iPhone so that you can play along. If you want to record yourself playing along to the music, you'll have to open up MOBILE POD inside of Garageband or Cubasis (any core audio recording app) and use the "inter-app audio" instrument.