Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Newbie Q, Running HD500 to the front of two amps

etracing

Hello all.

My first post.

I want to run my recently purchased HD500 to the front of two older (no FX) amps for the stereo effects.  

I plan on running them clean and to turn off the HD500 amp emulations. 

What is the best HD500 cable output for this? Is there a idiots guide for this?  

Thanks!

Ed 

just use the 1/4 outs into the front of your amps.  If you are only using the effects in the POD, no amps, you should set the output mode to Studio Direct.  You may need to experiment with the Line/Amp switch and the guitar impedance settings to get the optimal signal for your rig.

Remember that to get a true stereo signal to your amps you must use stereo effects.  If you must use a mono effect like a noise gate be sure it is at the beginning of your effect chain.  If it is after any stereo effects your output will be in dual mono.

Hey Ed,

Welcome to the forums too!

I've done this for S&Gs in the ole basement into some old (but trusty) Peavey amps. If your amp has an FX loop (line in/line out) run the HD's outs into the amps's ins - just watch out and start with the HDs volume set low as you are direct into the power section.

Follow what Rads said and when editing patches be sure to play around with mixer panning when you get comfortable. Try some fx panned all right some left - you can get some pretty cool results.

-Bill

You may experience hum from ground loops if you connect to Two amps.  If so, you may have to make sure  that both amps are plugged into the same outlet or outlet strip.  Even then, you may get more hum than when using just one amp.  The XLR outputs are better for this but your amps probably do not have balanced XLR inputs.

• Upvote 1