Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Weird digital Hum/Whine dt50/Hd500x l6 link

jt1432

Need help diagnosing...
Fender Blackout telecaster with George L cable and AES/EBU cable connected via Line 6.  I get the same sound when plugged in direct through the XLR output directly to my computer interface no matter the location.  Any help is appreciated.  Video link posted below.

Yeah that's a weird noise. Have both the pod and amp been updated? Have you tried it with a different guitar like say a single coil strat?

Not yet but I will.  The Fender Blackout Tele I have is three single coils. http://musicandmore.pl/images/s/fender-deluxe-blackout-telecaster-mn-black-7176.jpg

I haven't tried a guitar with a humbucker yet but I will be doing that tonight.  Both the pod HD500x and the Amp are all currently updated and I have also done a Global reset on the pod and have also reset the DT50. 

Not yet but I will. The Fender Blackout Tele I have is three single coils. http://musicandmore.pl/images/s/fender-deluxe-blackout-telecaster-mn-black-7176.jpg

I haven't tried a guitar with a humbucker yet but I will be doing that tonight. Both the pod HD500x and the Amp are all currently updated and I have also done a Global reset on the pod and have also reset the DT50.

i Thanks, hope you get cleared up. I had noise like that before although I was using the HD 500 via usb recording.

How did you get it cleared up?

1 time for the HD 500 it was a case of having to uninstall and reinstall the drivers and software and for the UX2 the same thing once and another time it was a matter of increasing the buffer in Ableton from 512 to 1024.

I think the 1 time with the HD I was tweaking using HD 500 Edit a little too fast and must have corrupted something. I also remember 1 time I had to reinstall firmware too. Most like likely cause I was tweaking the knobs too fast. Lol.

All in all I've had a great time with it.

Was there something you were doing before it started making that noise or did it start up when you first turned on the amp and pod? It's a very distinct and repetitive sound that you're getting, sounds to me like a relay but I'm no expert. Have you tried plugging into the amp or the pod separately without using the L6 link? The problem seems to have moved with the L6 cable when you plugged it into your computer. Just some suggestions. Hope you get it sorted out.

That is very likely digital noise from a computer, possibly from the power supply. Turn off your computer, or run your laptop on batteries. Check that you don't have another computer or digital device running in the house (noise like that can spread through your ground connection from quite a distance). turn everything off one by one till you find the culprit.

Was there something you were doing before it started making that noise or did it start up when you first turned on the amp and pod? It's a very distinct and repetitive sound that you're getting, sounds to me like a relay but I'm no expert. Have you tried plugging into the amp or the pod separately without using the L6 link? The problem seems to have moved with the L6 cable when you plugged it into your computer. Just some suggestions. Hope you get it sorted out.

From what I remember it has always been there...  It just is a lot more noticible hooked up to the DT50.  I really think it is my hd500x.  It will be faint until I touch the stings and then it comes back.  I can maintain it by changing the inputs and the input z settings as well as lowering the db in the mixer...  For some reason I feel I need to factory reset the HD because it may be that I have uploaded a corrupted patch somewhere down the line.  I will give an update when I get around to messing with it later in the day.  BTW. Thank you guys for all your help and didn't just tell me to "search around the forums."  Because I actually have been trying to diagnose this for over two weeks looking into multiple forums.  I finally cracked down and decided to post something.  

That is very likely digital noise from a computer, possibly from the power supply. Turn off your computer, or run your laptop on batteries. Check that you don't have another computer or digital device running in the house (noise like that can spread through your ground connection from quite a distance). turn everything off one by one till you find the culprit.

This is a good point. I recently had another computers power supply, which wasn't hooked up to my rig causing RF into my sound. It was similar to this sound you have. I almost forgot about iit, even created a thread on it, lol.

I get the same sound when plugged in direct through the XLR output directly to my computer interface no matter the location.

From what I remember it has always been there...

Maybe the HD 500's power supply isn't quite right?

Diagnostics is a process of elimination that requires a step-by-step approach in order to eliminate what isn't causing the problem until you reach the cause. Try plugging your guitar directly into you DT first and see if you get the noise. If you don't, then plug directly into the POD and hook up a set of headphones. In each case you need to disconnect your L6 connection. If all is well, hook up your L6 link to the DT50 and POD  to see if you get the same noise. If you don't have the problem present itself under any of the above conditions you can rule out the DT, POD, and L6 cable. The problem is then external and is probably coming from your computer or being picked up from somewhere in your house. Y ou can even try moving your setup to a different part of your house to see if the problem persists. Hope this helps you and let us know what happens.

• Upvote 1