Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT25 Combo with Cab

jdawgnoonan

Hello, I have a question.  I have considered getting the DT 25 head and cabinet, but I have also considered getting the DT 25 combo and stacking it on top of a DT 25 cab to kind of get the best of both worlds (the open back sound of the combo on top with the closed cabinet sound of the cab powered by the combo). I would be running this from my HD 500 via Line6 link and using the combo amp as the head unit.

Does anyone have experience with the DT 25 combo stacked on the cab and how that combination sounds?  I have read that it fits well (is stable and sturdy), but I am curious about the sound. It seems like it should offer a lot of flexibility.  

I also considered getting the DT50 212 combo amp, but just worry that it would be too loud when I use it at home.

Thanks, 

John

I like your idea of the combo and the cab for a couple of reasons.  The mix of open and closed back cabs could give you a nice range of options.  The weight difference alone to lug around makes the 25 a winner to me (specs below).  The price for the DT25 and cab is still $200 less than the DT50 2X12.  Volume is another consideration but probably the lowest one for me.  I have the DT25 head with a 2X12 cab and you can make a DT work without LVM at lower volumes by switching to topology 1, Class A/B, and Triode.  Good luck!

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/amplifiers/dt50dt25/dt50dt25-weights-and-dimensions-r146

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your input! I have also considered the configuration that you are using because then you have the DT25 head combined with the Celestion G12H90 speakers and the Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. The lack of the vintage speakers on the DT25 gear is the main thing that causes me to contemplate the DT50 212.

Really don't think there is that much difference when using the DT.  I have one cab with V30's and another with Emminence Guvnors and you would be hard pressed to really tell the difference.  There are so many options for tone within the POD that you kind of need a speaker and cab that doesn't color too much on its own.  You can do all the coloration with the POD.

Actually I've been using the stock combo/cab configuration for about two years. It really allows for the best of both worlds, the open back combo giving the sound an almost 3D quality, and the closed cab pumping strong, defined lows.

I favour Fenderish cleans with reverb/delay and Boogie-ish dirt sounds, to great success using this set.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

This thread is giving me New Years G.A.S.!!! lol

I have been wanting a second DT25 combo basically, since I bought my single DT25 combo a year ago.

But after I got it all paid off I wasn't in any hurry to drop another $999, and the prices haven't budged - whereas the StageScape mixer and speakers have all dropped, anywhere from $100 to $500 ($100 off the L2m/t, $200 off the L3m/t, and $500 off the M20d..)

But the extension cab is only $300, and wouldn't require any new patches or re-programming the HD500..

I currently use an amp stand with my DT25, would probably just put the extension cab on the feet of the stand, and lean it back.

Though I like the 'mini stack' idea too. Dang... Must resist G.A.S.... :)