Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

clarification w/alt tuning

I think the whole idea of alternate tuning is that it provides a quick and temporary switch to a different tuning, with the intention that you will revert back to your idea of a 'standard' tuning, based on the actual physical tuning of your guitar. If you want a different 'standard' tuning then I suggest you actually tune your guitar to that. Then you can switch models at will and won't need to think about alternate tuning.

what the...it works...whatchu talkin bout Willis?

I just changed a tuning via capo...stores in guitar & works w/all models - sorry if I didn't make myself clear

NOW how to figure the other 1/2 of what I wanna do - basically open D etc but 1/2 step down...maybe I DO have to physically tune this guitar down 1/2 step to achieve a baritone AND additional 1/2 step down?

Sorry Silver ...writing before I read

what the...it works...whatchu talkin bout Willis?

I just changed a tuning via capo...stores in guitar & works w/all models - sorry if I didn't make myself clear

NOW how to figure the other 1/2 of what I wanna do - basically open D etc but 1/2 step down...maybe I DO have to physically tune this guitar down 1/2 step to achieve a baritone AND additional 1/2 step down?

Sorry Silver ...writing before I read

I was wrong in my earlier reply. I forgot that the virtual capo tunings overwrite whatever slot you save them to on the alt tuning knob on a global basis, not just per model. So it actually does work the way you want.

As far as a half step below baritone, just use the virtual capo feature to create the tuning you want and save it where you want it.

When you're defining a new alt tuning you just have to keep in mind that 12th fret equals to the nut, so if you play all open strings it will give you 1 octave down for all of them. 24th fret will give you 1 octave up, and of course you can get whatever in between. If you want something beyond 1 octave up or down, you'll have to physically tune your guitar to it, but I can't imagine anyone needing more than an octave

I thought you could go higher using a 12 string model and disabling the lower string of the pair giving an octave, and then using virtual capo to move it up - you can certainly do altered tuning Nashville variations (6 string with higher strings from a 12 string set) 

Easiest tool to use for adjusting alternate tunings (anything, really) is the free Workbench HD software. In this the video I explain how it's done. Go to 3:10 for the tunings bit.

http://line6.com/news/general/1433

yes it's easier tool but that doesn't change the alt's in guitar correct? I'm able to change them via virtual capo & store for use w/any model - but I play 1/2 step down mostly & to do say a bass guitar sound would be impossible (just because of that 1/2 step)

yes it's easier tool but that doesn't change the alt's in guitar correct?

You can overwrite any of the alternate tunings slots using Workbench HD or Virtual Capo, except for the "Standard" and "model" slots.

to do, say, a bass guitar sound would be impossible (just because of that 1/2 step)

The furthest you can go down is -12 semitones. If your guitar's standard tuning is E-flat then programming -12 in Workbench HD or strumming an open 6th-string in Virtual Capo will yield a bass E-flat. Hope that answers your question.