Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Strange end noise Pod HD Pro X

Didi1396

Hi everyone,

I'm running through my new Pod HD Pro X and some headphones in it. In my heavy distortion patches, I have a strange end at the end of my guitar signal, I'm not sure if I can explain that clearly so I decided to record it. The sound is present with all my guitars. How can I fix that strange sound ? Thanks.

Riff 3.mp3

I think I can hear what you're hearing. It's a kind of whooshing. I also heard towards the end (the second to last chord strike) that sounds like some sort of digital artifacting, sort of like mp3 compression, but not quite like it, when you hit the note.

How do you have all you're stuff hooked up? How exactly did you make the recording. If you hear it with only the headphones hooked into the pro x, I would guess it's something to do with the patch, or the device itself. Could you post the patch?

I tried to set the Decay to zero but the sound is still present. As you said duncann, it's a kind of whooshing. We can hear that sound better when I play with my seven string guitar, here's the recording (with Cubase). When I try to join the patch file, I get an error message. Basically, that sound appears on every heavy patch, and I'm always using Noise gate or Hardgate.

Riff 4.mp3

Ok. I just tried it on my hd500x and it's definitely the combination of gates causing this. It seems to sound better when you put one of the hard gates before both amps (and before the split) and get rid of the other two. I think the worst offender in this case is the noise gate.

Ok, I tried putting one noise gate after the two sections of amp but the sound is still here, even if I'm using a simple Noise Gate - Treadplate (for example) patch, I can hear that sound. Maybe am I pushing the channel volume and gain level too hard. It seems to reduce the sound if I'm reducing the gain or channel volume

Edit : I noticed that the sound was much more present with my active pickups guitars than with the one without them. So I pushed the "Pad" button near the guitar input and it reduced the noise a lot ! It seems that it was my active pickups that caused that strange noise.

Try putting the hard gate (with the settings you have) before the two amps. If you put it after the amps, you're losing the stereo separation; the signal is being summed to mono. Also with that particular setup of amps, I wouldn't use the noise gate as it seems to me that's the one that's causing the whooshing.