Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

USB output to POD HD500 too loud

assmonger

Hi there. So I'm using my POD HD500 over headphones to monitor my guitar while listening to playback from the computer through the USB port (MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.10). The problem is, compared to the output from the guitar simulation, the computer's volume is WAY too loud. The volume control on my computer doesn't seem to do anything, neither does sliding the stereo output knobs in Audio MIDI Setup.

How can I adjust the overall volume output of the computer?

Thanks!

Hey there,

Your computer is reading the HD500 as the main audio device for ins/outs. The master knob on your HD500 should be the overall output of your computer. Just like with a traditional interface.

On the face of the 500 next to the expression pedal , is the Guitar in  switched to normal instead of 'PAD'?

If you haven't tried yet:

System Preferences>Sound> Input (select HD500)>Output (select HD500)

What exactly is producing your audio playback from your computer? Internet, iTunes, Protools?..

nickbell_: Yup, output/input is on POD HD500 and what's playing music is different things, sometimes Spotify or Audacity or iTunes

edit: yup, the guitar is at "normal" rather than pad

Palico: The volume control doesn't seem to change the computer level, even if it's turn all the way down to mute it's still at the same volume.

edit: also my "Amp" in the signal chain has volume set to 100% and the drive is in the middle

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm having this issue as well. Did you ever figure out how to fix it?

Like you, I'm on Mac, and the volume control has no effect.

Unfortunately not... hopefully they'll release a driver fix. My solution for now is to use a 3.5mm jack from my computer to the CD/MP3 in slot on the POD. Then I use built-in-ouput for outputting sound from my mac and the PODHD500 device for input, so then the volume control works.

The fix is.... 

Turn your pc volume down. 

It doesn't matter what I hook up to my pc, the volume will run to 100. 

My Pod. My TV's. My phones. 

If sound from my pc is coming out of another device, the volume maxes out. And it goes back to 'normal' when I disconnect. 

• 1 year later...

Hi there, 

It is still with 10.11.4 the same:

- turning down the mac volume doesnt work when input is the line 6 usb device, the volume doesn't change

- turning down the master volume turns down everything, also the guitar input

There is only one workaround: turning down the volume of the app that is used for playing the music / jam tracks / whatever

But I still get headache when system sounds or other apps pop up for notification.  :wacko:

@Line6:why is there still no fix for this issue in 2016? I bought an expensive device and struggle with such little piece of developers' work.  -_-

Cheers

Robin

There is only one workaround: turning down the volume of the app that is used for playing the music / jam tracks / whatever

Not a workaround, but a solution

But I still get headache when system sounds or other apps pop up for notification.

In Windows, there's a virtual sound mixer, where you can control the level of the system sounds.

@Line6:why is there still no fix for this issue in 2016? I bought an expensive device and struggle with such little piece of developers' work. -_-

If you haven't heard, here in 2016 they have things called the Helix that can do all that.

Expensive device? You can't even get a decent guitar for $500.

If it ain't broke..

@Line6:why is there still no fix for this issue in 2016? I bought an expensive device and struggle with such little piece of developers' work.  -_-

This would not be a problem for L6 to fix. It is an issue with the computer. 

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The POD HD Desktop exhibits the exact same problem. In particular I'm live looping with guitar and a loop software on the mac. The tracks played back are substantially louder than the guitar while recording. Or when I simply record some audio through the POD with sox and then play it back with play through the POD I observe the same phenomenon.
A solution would be to attenuate the audio coming from the USB as a setting in the POD.
As mentioned, I can't turn down the POD's MASTER Volume, as this would further quiet the directly monitored guitar.

Weirdly, I can lower the input levels in the OSX Setting Audio MIDI Setup but lowering the output levels doesn't do anything. Also when muting the outputs from within Audio MIDI Setup, the audio comes through unimpeded.

When using the POD as an audio interface this is very annoying. Yes, you can turn down the master volume from within your DAW, but all other sound sources (e.g. system sounds) will still be too loud.

16 hours ago, loopology said:

The tracks played back are substantially louder than the guitar while recording. Or when I simply record some audio through the POD with sox and then play it back with play through the POD I observe the same phenomenon.

Doesn't your looper software have its own volume level controls?

If yes, use them to lower the playback volume level..

If the guitar signal needs to be louder on recording you should use the level controls available in the chain, eg the mixer block faders and/or the amp model output level.

The master volume physical knob doesn't affect in any way the recording level through USB, it's only an input/output global monitoring level.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• 3 years later...

IMGO : the Line6 Audio MIDI preference in the system preferences should do the job.

It does not.

So, I use the *Audio Hijack* application (see attached screen capture).

1) I create a blank session with a name such as *Transcribe -> HD500*

2) I set an input block for my audio App (DAW or Transcribe or iTunes or whatever)

3) I set an output block for my audio device HD500

4) I set the volume for that device to a very low value, say 1%

When I click *Run* the audio is routed to my HD500 with a much lower volume, and I can adjust the volume is my audio App

When I click Stop, the audio is routed back to my system audio output (internal speaker, etc.) with the usual volume

I have one session per audio App.

No disturbing system sounds, etc.

No more loudness in my ears by accident.

Have fun !

Capture d’écran 2023-12-05 à 10.45.46.png