Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Noise on clean sounds

ikon78

Hello everybody and congrats for this amazing community.

I'm a new and inexperienced pod HD500 user.

My problem is noise on clean tones...

I'm working on this configuration: 30sznyu.jpg

but i get mild hissing noise (and if i get a tube compressor it gets even worst)...

I can't get rid of it without altering/destroying my tone 

I've heard that PODs are a bit noisy but this is a clean tone we're talking about..

The problem isn't excessive but it's enough to make you wanna fix it.. 

So is there a way to get rid of the hissing?

I use high quality mogami cables coming out of the POD's balanced XLR outs to my audio interface's (RME FF400) inputs and finally through nearfield monitors. Guitar is Gibson LP with classic 57 pickups.

The drivers/flash memory e.t.c. are all updated.

The power socket grounding is 100% Ok

Thank you very much

with what you described in your post you shouldn't get any particular noise from the POD..

probably you have some "ground loop" problems, which are very common.. (the POD by itself isn't very noisy)..

maybe your POD is connected at the same time to an external amp and to a PC, and both amp and PC are connected to the power socket creating a loop..

given that you are using a XLR connection maybe you could solve the noise issue by putting the XLR switch (near the pedal) to the LIFT position, which thing could break the loop and stop the noise..

if it doesn't work, and you are using a laptop, you could try to run it on batteries, which is another method to break the ground loop.. or you could disconnect the POD from the external amp (if any)..

but there are also other solutions, if a ground loop noise is your problem

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I have some news...

When everything is connected and on, that is guitar-->POD-->external firewire soundcard (connected to PC)-->monitors, i have the hiss noise.

But when i turn off the PC and it's just  guitar-->POD-->external firewire soundcard-->monitors, then the hiss goes away!!

So something in the PC is causing the problem..

Maybe the firewire driver or the power supply...

The truth is that i have quite some stuff connected to the same power socket... but doesn't ground loops are caused by bad house grounding? i checked with the electrician and the grounding is perfect...

no, ground loop noise and bad house grounding are different things and not necessarily related to each other..

I don't know how to explain the ground loop noise in a scientific way, in very very simple terms I believe is something due to some electrical differences between the devices that are connected together, which can cause like a passive little current that if catched in a loop constituted by the devices connected together and to the same power socket can cause audio (and/or video) noise..

so any solution involves breaking the loop in one of its connection points

Really?

I thought that the noise produced by the problematic device normally escapes through the house grounding but if there's a problem there, it returns back to the "chain" system and "loops", in effect, power socket grounding problem = grounding loops. Guess I'm misinformed.

So I should experiment taking out devices from the chain...

Doesn't have to be a ground loop.  EM generated by a computer or monitor could also cause noise.  I think the big thing was determining the computer is causing the problem.  Hopefully plugging the computer into another outlet will fix it, or run a longer cable to connect your POD farther away from the computer and see if it's any better.

I'm no electrician but I think a proper ground is just a steel rod 6 or 8 feet into the ground.

I am guessing the problem is going to be in the laptop with the onboard soundcard. Like the mic has boost on it or some such that is what is actually the problem. I could be wrong. It's just what popped into my head.

Also your noise gate at the front of your signal chain set the decay to 0 and start the threshold at about 15% to start and move the threshold to quiet things even more. You will lost sound and attack on the string if you go to far. If it doesn't help at about 40% then that is not the solution.

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted.

Ok, I discovered something new...

The closer I place the guitar to the PC tower the louder the hissing noise and if I remove the side panel of the tower the noise gets even louder!! Like it transmits something..

For the noise to disappear, I must play the guitar 3 meters (9,84 feet) away!

I can't believe I must be Tesla to have a noiseless setup...!  :wacko:

PS: The same happens without the POD connected (just in a smaller loudness scale).

Yes, I know about that, it helps 

but this way I can't use two amps the same time

Probably electromagnetic interference as Joel suggested - being picked up by the guitar pickups.  It'd be a lot worse if you had single coils!  By the way - your ability to  use two amps at a time  shouldn't be affected by the setting for input 2.

To the OP's question: Sounds like your getting RF from something around your rig. Such as VOIP,  phones, monitor screens, power supplies etc. If you face your guitar pick ups towards the things that maybe in question you should hear that noise intensify some.

I'm no electrician but I think a proper ground is just a steel rod 6 or 8 feet into the ground.

This is off topic:

I'm not an electrician either, I consulted someone about grounding my 1/2 wave Starduster antenna for a transceiver set=up quite a long time ago and was told to run an 3/16" aluminum wire from the ground pole of the antenna down to the ground (dirt) and clamp that to a 5 foot copper rod. I drove a 6 foot galvanized pipe into the ground and then drove the copper rod with the wire on it, into that. Then I would fill the pipe with water if it was dry. Never had a problem always a clean signal and excellent standing wave ratio. Also that thick wire made a great ground plane, IMO.

SN851225.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I had a similar problem since I bought my HD500X. Today I managed to solve the problem and finally killed the disturbing hum from the upper-mid range.

I use an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, but I think my solution will work on every guitar (maybe you sould use other Guitar In-Z's described here).

Step 1: Listen to this product test video, type to YT: "Line 6 POD HD All the Amp Models"

Step 2: Find the "Blackface Double Vibrato" AMP at 0:40, your guitar should sound exactly the same as here later! If your sound is distorted you will have to set the pick-up height.

Step 3: Select "Blackface Double Vib" AMP on the board. There should be nothing else in the chain.

Step 4: Go to the "Guitar In-Z" settings, it's at the upper left corner in the software.

Step 5: Switch from "Auto" to "22k".

Step 6: You have to set the pick-up height on your guitar with a screwdriver. Set the pick-ups away from the strings until all the distorsions disapper.  If you have more pick-ups you will have to repeat it on each. I tested my sound with a G and D chord because the humming was the strongest by those.

Step 7: Its up to you, but If you use distorsion/overdrive tones more often (as I do) I found that setting the "Guitar In-Z" to "32k" will enhance the distorsion sounds on other AMPS. In the end, I used the same method described here (with Blackface Vib etc.) and set up my guitar to 32k.

Oh 1 more thought: I used 22k and 32k because I couldn't lower my pick-ups anymore at higher Z's to get clean sound.

Good luck and be careful with the settings!