Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How create a good tones in High gain Amps?

ricardojsneto

Hello evebody!

I've some difficult to create a quality High Gain tone, when I come closer, some little detail don't satisfy me. Details like a bee buzz in drive or excessive baas frequency that I can't equalize with the middle and the treble to have a cool equilibrium while a play the low chords. In my case I'm using a 7 string guitar.

I'm serching a modern high sound within equilibrium between the frequencies like bands how Meshuggah, Thy Art is Murder, Whitechapel, The Haunted or that one wonderful and agressive sound used by Exodus guitar players Gary Holt and Lee Altus in actual days, that uses Mesa Boggie Dual or Triple Rectified, I have no certain what is the model.

Someone had a tip, adivice or tick to do it?

There are so many possibilities as others have mentioned.  I'll throw two more factors in to the mix - have you tried the different mic options?  I like the Treadplate with the 57 Off Axis as opposed to the 87 default.  I actually like the sound of the 87 for the guitar on its own, but for a band setting, the 57 will cut more.  I think I use the default cab, but that is another factor to look into - trying the different cabs.  In the deep editing parameters, you can cut the lowest frequencies out, which might help some of your issues.  I cut everything below 100hz.  

Alex

• Upvote 1

Have you tried the deep edit parameters for the cabinet.

Yes brue58ski I tried it, but I didn't like so much of the results.

to dial out the bee buzz and excessive bass frequency you could try to put a MID FOCUS EQ just after the amp model..

as a starting point I suggest the following FX settings:

H FREQ=around 20%

L FREQ=from 60 to 70%

GAIN=0%

leave the two Q parameters to their defaults, or maybe go up to 55%, not more..

----------------

another thing that you could do is to set the POD input2 to a physical input you are not using, however this last trick doesn't do much with high gain stuff,... it does, but in a subtle way, and would be instead much more noticeable with medium gain stuff

hurghanico I've some problems with equalizer, because I haven't so much patience to adjust the parameters; but, in a moment that my patience when my patience will relax I try it with calm

In the deep editing parameters, you can cut the lowest frequencies out, which might help some of your issues.  I cut everything below 100hz.  

Alex, I will try your tips. I will go cut the frequancies in the level that you sait to see the results will please me.

I want a sound with agressive punch. Let's see if I can do it with the all tips. Thanks guys!

If someone has more tips, please, post it!

Yep it can be tough to get a super duper high gain crunch like the albums have. They have alot of production going on in the studio too. But you should be able to get something nice.

The above tips will help you get in the ball park but you are still going to have to tweak it to your ears. Be sure to try the different output modes like studio direct or combo front. Limit verbs/delays and put some compression up front to keep some tight palm mutes going.

Piggybacking on Alex's mic suggestion of cabs - try the GT75 loaded cab (can't remember the model off hand) nice tight punchy speaker. If you put the post EQ in also try rolling off the uber high mhz.

-B

• Upvote 1

Most importantly, are you playing live or doing home recording? Direct to board or through a real amp? These guys are all giving great advice, but without knowing your intended use, some options may make things worse, and some will not actually DO anything. What is your full setup?

• Upvote 1

Yes man! The bands have a great production in studios, but live these bands has a great sound too. I know that some these bands live has first line equipsment, but some bands play only high gain amp and get a great sound.

The Line 6 idea is that the users can get a sound close studio sound in our live performance or a studio sound in their home records. I use POD a long time, and the best High Gain that I got was in old POD 2.0. In the POD XT I got good sound, but was most hard. Already in POD HD500X i get good tones and it is most easy that in XT, but sometimes something don't please me in the final sound. I wiil follow the tips, because some things I don't tested yet. ;-)

stumblinman, in the moment I just using POD HD500X.To record I using Cubase LE. My intantion is buy a handemade valve pedal sold here in Brazil called Tubestation 56 inc. It's has a heavy sound and can help me to get a cool sound.

All tips were amazing in home I will test each one.

New tips are welcome!

stumblinman, in the moment I just using POD HD500X.To record I using Cubase LE. My intantion is buy a handemade valve pedal sold here in Brazil called Tubestation 56 inc. It's has a heavy sound and can help me to get a cool sound.

All tips were amazing in home I will test each one.

New tips are welcome!