Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

pre amp verses full amp

CrispyFunk

im using My PodHD500x with a DT/25 over a L6 link  and i was wondering about what amp models are best used with the L6 link and a DT25.  pre amp only verses the full amp model or does it even matter when using the L6 link? 

thank you for your time CrispyFunk.

im using My PodHD500x with a DT/25 over a L6 link  and i was wondering about what amp models are best used with the L6 link and a DT25.  pre amp only verses the full amp model or does it even matter when using the L6 link? 

The main point of the DT series is to provide a tube power section to match the digital preamps, cabs and effects of the POD.  It was designed to be used with the pre models and will physically configure itself to match your choice of preamp.  The stand alone DT uses the pre models with cabs to achieve its tones.

So to answer your question, you should use the pre models rather than the full amp models.  That being said, there are no hard and fast rules about it.  After all, in LVM the DT will use the full amp model to add a little beef to the tone anyways.  Play around with it to see what sounds good rather than just trying to color inside the lines.  But if you want to match the standalone DT tones, you need to use a pre model with the default cab selection.

As far as the L6 link, its only a digital connection and doesn't care what models, cabs, or effects you use...