Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 as MIDI controller

forresal

Long time POD owner here but admittedly went back to my standard analog pedals for awhile.  I held onto the HD500 as a backup rig.

Recently acquired a Korg A3 and Eleven Rack.  Been looking at MIDI foot controllers to control both rack units.  Remembered that the HD500 can be used for MIDI.  So rather than shell out cash for a unit when I have a potentially viable one already, I'd like to use the HD500 to control patch changes on both the 11R and A3.

I looked through these forums and reading up here and the manual, but I'm a MIDI noob.  Most of what I've seen, though, deals with the HD500 as a MIDI controller for loops or some DAW.

Can the HD500 in MIDI make the patches on both rack units change at the same time?

I'm assuming that I MIDI daisy chain the gear. HD500 midi out --> 11R midi in --> 11R midi out/thru --> A3.

Theoretically, is as simple as setting the HD500 to change the 11R which in turn sends the change to the A3?

I undertand that I will likely need to make some settings changes to the HD500 and the 11R.

Thanks in advance!

F

Theoretically, is as simple as setting the HD500 to change the 11R which in turn sends the change to the A3?

F

Yes, I believe it should be that simple. Make sure the MIDI send/receive channels are aligned. Note that the HD500 sends the program change number that is specified by its preset number/location, and that behaviour can't be changed, so you will need to place the desired patches in the associated Program Number positions in both the 11R and the A3.

Thanks silverhead!

I got it connected and able to change patches.  A bit difficult for me, but its working.  I still have some tweaking and patch organization to take care of.

I was actually thinking of selling the HD500 since I hardly used it.  But it now has new life!!

Glad to hear it!

Note that the Hd500 can send more than patch/program change messages in midi. You can also assign specific CC commands to footswitches. This is documented in the Advanced Guide in detail. Assignments are accessible through Hd500 Edit.

maybe this will help:

Thanks Pugdealer. But that video seems appropriate for interaction with recording software.  I'm just interesting in getting the HD500 to control rack gear via MIDI.

Glad to hear it!

Note that the Hd500 can send more than patch/program change messages in midi. You can also assign specific CC commands to footswitches. This is documented in the Advanced Guide in detail. Assignments are accessible through Hd500 Edit.

Thanks silverhead for the tip.  Still trying to wrap my head around this whole MIDI thing.  Understanding what each mode can do and how I can utilize it.  I think I'm going to need to spend a lot of time figuring out how I want to organize my patches across all the units and then to the HD's footswitches.

Thanks Pugdealer. But that video seems appropriate for interaction with recording software.  I'm just interesting in getting the HD500 to control rack gear via MIDI.

Thanks silverhead for the tip.  Still trying to wrap my head around this whole MIDI thing.  Understanding what each mode can do and how I can utilize it.  I think I'm going to need to spend a lot of time figuring out how I want to organize my patches across all the units and then to the HD's footswitches.

I understand, but the principal still stands. You need to program the appropriate MIDI commands on the pod to match the ones on the other device. in this case it's a DAW, but when the tutorial talks about controling the POD from the DAW, the principle stands, just think of the POD as the device you're trying to control the POD with now. The tutorial explains how to program both "directions", so if you want to control a device from the POD you'll either have a list of MIDI commands that do things or you'll just program whatever on the POD and put the device oh LEARN mode if it has such a mode. 

Hope I could help

No problems Pugdealer.  I looked at the video again (which is really well done) but home recording is above my mental abilities so I when I heard stuff about the software, etc. I sort of tuned it out.  But I certainly did get some tips from it!!

• 2 years later...

Hi - this has been driving me nuts, it would be great if someone could help.  :)

I have set up my HD500X to control my amp via midi - it's all working but I can't figure out how to get the lights on the footswitches to match the settings on the amp. I set up 4 switches to select channels on the amp and I thought I could assign them to dummy effects to make the lights come on as I select each channel. The problem is when I select the next channel, the last one stays on...are there any cunning schemes for making the four buttons operate like radio buttons, so only one of the 4 is on at any one time?

Thanks!