Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV 69 White or black pup wire ground?

I changed all 3 of my stock 69S single coils to Dimarzio noisless SC's -- love them, used the Paul Gilbert set -- all are in the "Area" line. I did it in late 2012 or ealy 2013. I got my 69S in Oct 2012, but had been spoiled by the quietness of humbuckers in my JTV-59 and of course the models. I've been a strat guy for 30 or more years, so was always fighting hum... I use the mags in both the 59 & 69S probably 90% of the time. It's very nice not to have to fight the hum on the mags.

My 69S is the gold one with "white" pickguard -- actually mint green, I realized after installation -- had to order in Dimarzio replacement pu covers to make 'em match the faceplate.... :mellow:

There is a JTV pickup wiring diagram somewhere here in the forum - hope someone can chime in with it. It was very helpful. As I recall the white wire is hot, the black is ground, as stumblinman said.

Instead of soldering onto the switch contacts, quarters were tight, and I didn't want to totally disassemble everything, so I snipped the white & black wires to each pickup (one pu at a time to keep everything straight) and soldered the new leads to those. Used heat shrink tubing to cover the solder joints and insulate.

That's my experience with it.

Dave

Thanks Zap -- That's the one! Anyway -- looking at the diagrams, you'll notice no "hot & ground" or "+ or -" marking shown on the pu's, just switch contact points. But also notice on the 59 & 69 humbucker diagram, they have the shield and black tied together. You'd always tie a shield to a grounding point. Also notice they don't have a specific diagram for my 69S with 3 SC's, so I had to suss it out... Like I said -- love it.

Dave