Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone using D’Addario NYXL on their JTV?

Recently watched a Rig Rundown from Premier Guitar featuring Adrian Belew
watch here:
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21784-rig-rundown-adrian-belew
at 7:54 he raves about using D’Addario NYXLs on his highly custom Parker with their special trem system and carbon fiber reinforced neck of course.
Has anyone here used them or use them?
D’Addario claims they
"provide more strength and up to 131% greater tuning stability by utilizing a completely reinvented wire drawing process coupled with a revolutionary “fusion twist†process for the plain steels. The reformulated nickel plated string windings have greater magnetic properties resulting in higher output and enhanced mid-range frequency response for more presence and crunch."
Any one using them had any trouble with the JTV piezos?

Hey_Joe (where ya going with that gun in your hand)

Uncanny!!!!!! i came on to the forum to post the very same question!!!!!!!  I am just going to have to take the plunge and try it... curiosity is killing.. i have been using the regular XL's for years but find they dull quite quickly.. may just be my skin pH......

The real question is, at triple the price will it be worth it!

i have been using the regular XL's for years but find they dull quite quickly.. may just be my skin pH......

The real question is, at triple the price will it be worth it!

I've used just about every brand of string out there at one time or another, and I still can't get more than a week on any guitar that gets played every day...sometimes less than that. I would be surprised if these are any different, but of course there is only one way to tell. Generally speaking, attempts at reinventing the wheel turn out to be rather disappointing.

I've been using the NY XL's (10-46) on my JTV59P for about 8 months. They work really well. I've since moved on to try a few different brands like the Dean Markley Blue Steels. I think I'll ultimately make it back to the NY XL's.

I too use the standard XL's. They work fine on all my guitars and seem to be the ones that break the least often. They do go dull fairly quick, but they still sound excellent. I'd have a hard time going back to another brand. All I know is Ernie Ball is lollipop.

I use NYXL strings on my JTV69, 59 as well as my Ibanez RG with floyd rose. They work great on all the guitars I've used them one. I don't know if they will last longer than the regular XL strings. I think that is largely up to personal preference and what you consider as the correct time to change strings. I change mine every month or so and just before gigs. I have not had one break in the 6 months I have been using them.

Here is the difference that I have seen with NYXL strings. They settle in much quicker than other stings. I normally stretch a new set of strings at every fret on every string to break them in. Usually I repeat this process 2-3 times with other strings. NYXL strings take one time and they seem to hold their tuning a bit better.

They are definitely worth a try. Just realize they are 2x the cost of XL strings.