Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Advantages of POD over Amplifi TT ?

ropned

The Amplifii is the previous generation tones not the HD tones.  It sounds good and is much easier to work with but it's not going to sound as good as the PODHD.  The Amplifii will have lots of available tones/patches that you can just drop in and play.  The PODHD will require more tweaking, configuring, and understanding to get a tone/patch, but will sound better in the end.

Summary:

Amplifii - easy to use and sounds good.

PODHD - harder to use but sounds better.

Think of the Amplifii as something you'd jam around with in your house and the PODHD as more of a professional level gigging or recording system.

Not that Amplifii can't be used for gigging or recording but the PODHD is the latest greatest tone/sound from Line6.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the update...  Judging from your link you're the goto guy for Iommi tones ?   What does the TT cloud app offer in the way of those?  I prefer the more 'produced' sound  from Never Say Die  onwards rather than the really dirty tones of the early albums.  

Could I just dial up "Falling off the Edge of the world" for example?

If you are looking to connect to your AV system then the TT is perfectly designed for this right down the the phono outputs. There are a good few Iommi tones on the tone cloud already. see attached snapshot. (thats not an exhaustive list but you get the picture )

post-134327-0-51251400-1420639784_thumb.png

I am interested in the Amplifii TT to plug into my AV system for a guitar tone. 

Would the Hd PRO x give me anything more ?

Yeah, the TT looks sweet. I don't know what they mean by "introductory pricing"; I guess the price might go up?> I see the $200 price tag as reasonable, I don't think the product warrants a steeper price tag, though who knows. I guess the question would be, how "in depth" do you want to get with your guitar tones? And what kind of features are important to you? The TT and the HD are very different; though with the latest piece in the AMPLIFi family, they did add USB recording functionality, which helps the line for sure.

The TT has Bluetooth capability, which is actually really cool, especially in this format, where is allows you to bring wireless audio streaming to old school speaker / amplifier rigs. That alone makes is awesome..

The amp modeling via iPhone/ Android app is also a nice feature. The HD series doesn't have Bluetooth.

The HD offers other options not available on the TT / AMPLIFi line, which depending on what you want out of it, may not matter to you.

The main items are:

-XLR input, XLR output

-VDI input for Variax guitars

-Line6Link output for use with DT amps and Stagesource speakers. Presumably that Link connection will be "backwards" and "forwards" compatible with any new Line6Link devices that may emerge in the future, though I don't know that I am just guessing.

There are other programming specifics which are too detailed to compare, in terms of how you access the devices, how the programs can be used with PC on the HD series vs app on the TT. Also, specific amp and FX model differences; the TT uses the plethora of amps (over 100?) and FX from the XT / X3 / PodFarm series; the HD stuff is fewer in quantity (30), yet presumed to be higher in quality - though a big part of that comes down to how you amplify the tones.

The TT through a killer sound system will sound better than the HD through the wrong amp setup, etc.

The HD also has some additional bells and whistles, in terms of  the dual amp chains, and the overall flexibility with FX assignments, however, there are DSP limitations which can be frustrating. The HD also has pre-amp only versions of all of it's amp models for use with the DT amps, which can be best described as using it in a more traditional analog amp manner, vs doing full amp modeling. A subtle distinction which may be lost on some. The Line6 amp modeling has always been top shelf, so that's not a detraction really, rather an additional flexibility.

Meaning, the HD series can better accomodate use with guitar amps, by way of disabling the mic modeling part of the signal.

If as you stated in the OP, you want to use the device of your choice with your home stereo system, that guitar amp aspect of the HD is not a factor.

There are other options that both have - both have some SPDIF digital outputs; both have jack for FBV foot controller as well. The HDPro (not the HD500) does have a dedicated "dry" output jack which is nice for recording.

I guess the TT for the price is hard to beat! $200 vs $700

• 11 months later...

I have had one for a couple years. Love it, used it mostly as a late night, baked, headphone session.

Also I use studio monitors with a sub.

Recently (after having it so long Duh) I noticed an amp out in the back and plugged that into my Vox AC15 and really enjoy that.

I think the Amplif floor would be better, it has an expression pedal.