Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

AMPLIFi FX100 vs POD HD500X

chrisbroncos76

Hey guys, I'm looking for a good recording solution and was wondering besides these two Line 6 products. My buddy has the Ux2 and Pod Farm and it's an awesome setup, but I kinda want more control with a floor board so I was just wondering what you guys thought.

I like the price of the FX100, does the HD500X add that much more for the price? Remember all I really want is a controller to record through Pod Farm with,

I also have a Zoom g3x, should I just use that? I use that primarily just for FX.

If you are looking for something to control POD Farm while recording, neither of these will work.

FX100 is based on PF algorithms, the HD series is currently their newest algorithms, and IMHO worth the extra money.

That being said, some users claim to have a harder time dialing in tones on the HD series, but to my ears hands down the HD wins in regards to tones.

There's no best solution.

What is best for you depends on your specifics.

What are trying to record?

Guitar..? I don't understand what is so difficult about this. I asked about two products that are seemingly used to record, and an expert tells me neither will work and that there is no solution? Lol. Think I'll just stick with my Zoom. Lost a costumer here.

You asked about two specific products and your requirement to use them to control Pod Farm. Triryche correctly stated that neither will control Pod Farm, and asked for more info from you so that he could advise you better.

Either the UX1 or UX2 should meet your needs. As opposed to providing more info as requested to get a better recommendation, you can compare their differences for yourself. Or stick with your Zoom.

I assumed guitar is in the equation.
What I am asking is....
Are you recording your doodles?
Or for submission to a project?
Is it your writings?
Are you writing and recording a solo effort?
Are you gigging and want to capture the essence?
Are you....
The more info you provide, the more the community will attempt to help.

Both the UX and the HD series provide viable recording solutions, however, the workflow and tones differ. (LOL?)

Ok, I have a question concerning FX100 vs. 500x.

For playing live, would you recommend the FX100 or a 500x going through a power amp?

I had a Flextone II which I LOVED it!!  Versatile, and sounded great live.  The FX100 (and the 500x) seem to be designed more for recording.  But want the versatility in a live situation that I had with the Flextone II.

Also, while I'm talking about it.  My Flextone II started acting up lately, and I'm pretty sure it's on the power amp side (not the software side) can that be replaced?

To answer your last question. The FX100 and the HD500X are a fantastic option for playing out live or recording. A couple notes below...

-FX100 Benefits. Easy to use, simple connectivity, great if you are wanting to bounce from a preset to preset scenario without changing a lot of effects on the fly. Editor is very simple and streamlined from Bluetooth device.

-HD500 Benefits. More I/O options from connectivity standpoint, More configuration as to what I/O is doing from a preset to preset basis, deeper effects programing from the footswitches, deeper editing from the software standpoint.

If you are connecting to an existing amp or in front of a PA both will accommodate your needs. you will have to tailor your presets to send Pre-Amp information (No Cab, No Power Amp modeling) for the best results.

@line6jbutter

Thanks, 

I definitely would have all my presets ready to go so I wouldn't have to change any effects on the fly. I'm just more concerned about having a good live sound. (most likely running through a power amp to a speaker)  
How would you compare it to the Flextone II soundwise?

I have the Amplifi FX100 and the POD HD 500.

IMO POD HD 500 it's oriented to pro musicians. It sounds better, but it's more difficult to program, and more expensive. More realistics amps and effects.

The Amplifi FX100 it's very easy to program, it's perfect for your fist fx, and to play at home you can have a lot of fun, recommend to semi-pro musicians, more cheaper, it also sounds good, but POD HD500 it's better sound.

I use POD HD500 for live and i don't use any amp, it sound great. I have an amp behind me, but i was connected to PA. People thought u was using the amp.

The next gig i will try Amplifi FX100 to test it.

• 3 weeks later...