Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

About Midi sync

victorpainkiller

In ableton, under preferences, MIDI Sync, MIDI Ports, I think you may need to activate the Sync button corresponding to your output MIDI device. Then, there must be a orange light flashing in the top left when you press play, meaning the MIDI Clock its being sent.

Make sure you´re using the same MIDI channel or set it to "omni". Check if you´re connecting the MIDI Out from your interface, to the MIDI IN of the Pod.

I'm glad that you've already got.

Yes, the POD HD doesn´t transmits or receive MIDI over USB, and yes, the tempo is drifting a bit, even using a hardware device to send MIDI clock (I´m using the Boss RC-300)

There is another posible/theorical way to sync tempo with Ableton, but I don´t know if the POD HD can receive tempo as a parameter, given that the MIDI implementation in the current HD series is way worse/incomplete than in previous POD series was.

I think this may be the reason why they have reused the old XT/X3 modelling on the amplifi series, instead the HD modelling.

Take a look at this tutorial I wrote to Sync my Boss RC-300 and Ableton Live: http://www.hispasonic.com/tutoriales/sincronizar-boss-rc-300-ableton-live/38381

My POD HD500 is the last in my MIDI daisy chain, so I´m syncing Ableton tempo to the RC-300 sending MIDI CCs, and the RC is sending its MIDI clock to the POD.

I dont know if you can extract some ideas from that, but if you find something interesting, please let us know!

• 3 years later...

Hi guys,

just wanted to share my experiments with Ableton and the Pod (HD500x). Initially I tried to just use the sync function of Ableton, which does work with the pod and does change the tap tempo. But the pod does readjust constantly and this just doesn't work out well. Maybe it's my crappy usb to midi cable...

Here's what works well for me:

Pod: Midi channel to global (though you could also just limit it to a channel).

Ableton: Activate "Track", disable "Sync" of your midi interface. Create a midi clip, which only sends midi information (cc64). You can find this under the envelope settings of a midi clip. I just have it on 127 velocity for one short moment at the start of my midi clip.

Now comes what really made a huge improvement for me: Adjust the length of the clip to send the midi information half as fast as your real tempo is, e.g. for drum n bass around 174bpm you would create a clip that's have a bar long and loop it, so the tempo which arrives at the pod is around 87. It won't be exactly that - slightly higher (atleast in my case) - but it doesn't adjust anymore. Now you only have to set your effects to be twice as fast (e.g. 8th -> 16).

Just pm me if you have any questions,

Greetings,

alex