Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD 2.0, constant clicking - hoping it's not toast

Hi POD crowd,

I'm hoping there's something I can do about this. I have been a quick-start, plug-and-play POD 2 user for years. I plugged it in recently and seemingly out of no where, it has this click that occurs every 3 seconds and seems to reverberate a little. The click is affected by any adjustments I make - like when I switch amps, it takes on the characteristics of that amp. If I switch to manual, and turn down the reverb, the sound changes accordingly.

I can play over it but it's very, very audible. The unit seems to work in every other way except for this phantom click.

I've switched cables and seemingly tried every knob and switch.

I've tried factory resets.

Tried the headphone output - sounds the same, even unattached to any amp.

I've never tried to connect to the unit over USB/MIDI that I can remember. I just ordered a decent USB-to-MIDI cable in case I can try a firmware update or something like that.

If I switch it to TUNER, the clicking stops. If I hold down SAVE on boot, it won't satrt clicking until I've selected A, B, C or D. Also just noticed that with headphones, the clicks are auto-panning from right to left. Damn annoying.

It's just very odd that this would occur out of no where. It's like I stumbled on a super slow metronome function that won't shut off.

Any suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

K

Hi Kirblam -

Sorry I don't have a solution for you...but thanks for posting your description of this issue.

I have the same (or very similar) problem with my PocketPOD. Back in Sept 2014 I posted my description as: it's two syllables "Tah-acK" with a hard T and a hard K. Very often it starts when I hit a note on the guitar (send a signal to the Pocket POD), it produces this metronome-with-echo-like "tah-ack" sound which then constantly repeats (even after many efforts at changing settings; powering off-then on etc). Eventually I give up and use other pedals.

Sometimes when I turn it back on the "tah-ack" sound is gone, but then it usually comes back a while later. I bought the unit new - though it's definitely out of warranty.

Now it is December and I just successfully used the POD for about an hour with no problems, but I'm afraid it's a ghost and will be ba-ack.  -R

thanks a lot for the reply, rmking60

sounds very similar except mine will not go away by power cycling. I put in a support ticket just to see if I could get any Line 6 feedback. At the very least I'm hoping to get a recommendation for an authorized service center.

The usb/midi cables arrive tomorrow so hoping I might be able to tweak something to get it to go away. Would hate to have to scrap this thing.

Happy new years!

K

• 2 weeks later...

This might sound 'off the wall', but I've found that certain watches produce an electronic click which is easily picked up by my guitar's pickups. I wear my watch on my picking hand which doesn't help.

I'm not saying that this is the issue, but is there anything around which could be causing similar interference with your POD? Just a thought.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi POD crowd,

I'm hoping there's something I can do about this. I have been a quick-start, plug-and-play POD 2 user for years. I plugged it in recently and seemingly out of no where, it has this click that occurs every 3 seconds and seems to reverberate a little. The click is affected by any adjustments I make - like when I switch amps, it takes on the characteristics of that amp. If I switch to manual, and turn down the reverb, the sound changes accordingly.

I can play over it but it's very, very audible. The unit seems to work in every other way except for this phantom click.

I've switched cables and seemingly tried every knob and switch.

I've tried factory resets.

Tried the headphone output - sounds the same, even unattached to any amp.

I've never tried to connect to the unit over USB/MIDI that I can remember. I just ordered a decent USB-to-MIDI cable in case I can try a firmware update or something like that.

If I switch it to TUNER, the clicking stops. If I hold down SAVE on boot, it won't satrt clicking until I've selected A, B, C or D. Also just noticed that with headphones, the clicks are auto-panning from right to left. Damn annoying.

It's just very odd that this would occur out of no where. It's like I stumbled on a super slow metronome function that won't shut off.

Any suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

K

did you ever solve this problem? I have the same thing going on with my old 2.0 pod

• 4 weeks later...

I had this issue just the other day, and I found out that changing the foot pedal cable solved the issue. My son has a newer line 6 amp with the footpedal, and even though his footpedal doesn't work with my old pod 2.0 - the cable did. you say you replaced all cables, so i assume that means the foot pedal as well? If so, or if you don't have a replacement cat 5 cable, easiest way to test would be to unplug the footpedal completely and see if it still clicks. Hope that helps!

• 2 years later...

Everything kirblam described is exactly what my old POD 2.0 just suddenly started doing. It’s not the end of the world but really disappointing as my son just started showing interest, so I pulled this out of a safe and clean storage situation only to find this suddenly start to happen after only a few times playing. Are there any ideas why or solutions yet? 

• 4 years later...