Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New JTV-89...Variax simulations not working

Hey there. New to the forum, long-time Line 6 user. Bought a Variax JTV-89 yesterday, and to my surprise the modeling does not work...at all. Ive already browsed the forums and tried a number of options. Posting here just in case theres something else I might have missed.

Volume is all the way up

Have a 1/4 connected

Battery is fully charged

Took the model knob out...didnt work

Tried a different CAT5 Cable

Tried a different USB slot

The interface is recognized and has a steady green light and a flashing red.

workbench hd is up to date

Please help, im about to return the guitar because ipI am so dissapointed. Already opened a support ticket.

If you have got a fully charged battery and the modelling knob illuminates when you press it down and you have a 1/4" cable connecting you to an amp then you should be haring the modelling and if you switch banks and pickup selector you should hear different models. If you move the alt tune knob you should hear the models in alternate tunings.

Raising a support ticket is a good idea if things aren't working as Line6 can help you trouble shoot it or recommend you send it back but if you just bought it yesterday then I would take it back to the store if it's local and swap it for another- don't waste time trouble shooting it if it's broken straight out of the box.   Hope you get it resolved.

Fresh from the factory , The Variax "Model Knob" is often pressed on too hard, and this prevents the spring loaded push/push "up / down"  switch action of this important swtched Potentiometer,

Also be sure to remove any clear plastic protective film in the knob area ( more of a problem on JTV-69)   

Often this can be corrected by gently pulling "up" on the model knob  - thus allowing the  full excursion of the "up / down"  switch action.

A quick press of the Model knob engages the Variax modeling tones  -and you should see lights! 

I just bought mine (JTV-89) and had a similar issue.  Update the firmware, or reload it even if it is already at the current version.  It took 3 reloads of the current firmware before the modelling started working on mine.