Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Studio/direct Output Sounds Best Even Through Amp?

StophJS

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. I'm currently running my POD HD500 straight into my Marshall TSL 100's FX loop. What I can't seem to make sense of is that the studio/direct ouput mode seems to sound significantly better than the Stack Power Amp mode. Studio direct just seems much smoother, full bodied, and just altogether cleaner. Switching over to stack power amp output is like cranking the treble all the way up and produces a dirty, metallic sort of tone. Any ideas?

studio direct is a finished sound with mic and air emulation... pretty much what you would feed to the front of house....

stack/combo are meant to be put into an amp and then mic'd

they are just different things....

but use whichever one you like....

To make sure you have the best solution also experiment with all kind of settings. Try also STACK FRONT and COMBO FRONT where you can adjust highs and lows and focus, and also try COMBO STACK (It once has been said that Combo Stack is for an open box, and Power Stack is for a closed box).

Maybe Studio DIRECT is your favorite, but maybe all this emulation here takes away a litte bit of the power and frequencies, or it sounds less direct. It's your taste that counts.

• 2 weeks later...

I experienced the same thing and went with what sounded best. I play through a blues jr and tried the "correct" option of combo front but it didn't sound as good as studio/direct. Also, the additional low, mid, and high frequency settings within combo only complicated things. Studio/direct sounds good through my amp and also sounds good through headphones so I don't have to set up and switch different patches between using the amp and headphones. It's interesting to note that in the section of the Advanced Guide that covers combo and stack says that "there is no wrong choice...check out all the possibilities and decide which Models work best for your tone!" So maybe there is something to this and perhaps using studio/direct with an amp isn't really breaking the rules. Go with whatever sounds best.