Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 300 and Workbench with Mac OS X Yosemite

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have the same issue, tried the Java upgrade. I can't even load the Variaz Workbench software; it stopps during the installation process. It says "The software requires MAC OS 10.5 or above" I am running on Mac OS X Yosemite, so it is "above".

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having the same issues with trying to use my Variax 400....... there's no Workbench software that will work with my MacBook Pro running OS X Yosemite .... kinda sucks.... maybe I'll try it with my windows system...

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm guessing from the posts here that if you already had Workbench installed when you upgraded to Yosemite, it still works, but if you're trying (like me) to install it on a new computer running Yosemite, you're in trouble. Anyone have a suggestion as to how to put a working copy of Workbench on a new Yosemite computer?

Hi 

You need to install Java on your system with Yosemite. Apple no longer includes it with their OS releases.

I have a Mac Pro in my Studio with Yosemite as well. I have both a Variax 500 and a JTV69. I use Workbench HD with the JTV and  the old Workbench software with my Variax 500

Note: You cannot run both versions of Workbench at the same time. 

Go to Apple's web site and find this file ----- JavaForOSX2014-001.dmg --- install it 

You should then be able to Install  the older Workbench software and it should then work with Yosemite..... It is working fine on my system. 

Java ia also required for Line 6 Edit software if you have an older Pod and need it  - I have a Pod XT Live that I have gigged with for years along with my Variax 500. The Line 6 Editor works fine also once Java is installed.

I use the Pod HD500 Editor for my HD500 (again not at the same time as  the old Line 6 Edit) - my newer rig is a DT25,HD500, and JTV69

Good luck! Hope you can get it all working. I have a lot of time invested in my older setup which I still use once in a while so I wanted the older software to work too. I hope you can get it to work.

Same issue for me. Running the workbench 1.54 (suggested by Line 6 monkey), with Java installed,  the program crashes  at the launch, displays the message "an exception was caught". See below...

An exception was caught.

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: cmn.l6java.utils.L6EmbeddedUtils.nativeHideSplash()V
App info: Variax Workbench 1.54 release - build 93 - Mon Mar 31 14:17:16 PDT 2008
Date: 08/05/15 19:02
In thread: Thread[main,5,main]
Java VM Version: 1.6.0_65

Stack trace:

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: cmn.l6java.utils.L6EmbeddedUtils.nativeHideSplash()V
    at cmn.l6java.utils.L6EmbeddedUtils.nativeHideSplash(Native Method)
    at cmn.l6java.utils.L6EmbeddedUtils.HideLauncherSplash(L6EmbeddedUtils.java:39)
    at line6editbase.app.L6EditorApp.Start(L6EditorApp.java:459)
    at line6editbase.app.L6EditorApp.access$200(L6EditorApp.java:42)
    at line6editbase.app.L6EditorApp$L6ELauncherBootstrap.OnLaunch(L6EditorApp.java:310)
    at cmn.l6java.app.L6App.Launch(L6App.java:194)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Arrrgggghh! I feel like I'm so close now. I successfully used mundofer's tip for installing Workbench, but the first step running it is to set everything up using Line 6 Monkey, and that, I'm afraid, does nothing but bounce in the dock for a minute, then stop and sit there. No windows. No setup. No options. WTH? Anyone have Monkey running properly in Yosemite?

***EDIT: OK now I've got Monkey running, (I had to remove the AVID Core Audio plugin, if anyone's interested) and everything's up-to-date. Monkey sees the Line 6 USB interface, but Workbench won't see it or the V300. Frustration level is Expert.

***EDIT2: I just noticed that the USB interface is flashing red on the guitar side no matter how much I change batteries and wiggle the cables. I guess sometimes chasing an old technology is just a waste of time and money.

• 3 weeks later...

it"s one of those things thats supposed to help keep your batteries from dying...

meaning with the cable unplugged, it's simply turned off. glad that was it. :)

having the 1/4" plugged in also helps you to hear your changes :) 

THANK YOU SO MUCH. That was it. It didn't occur to me that the 1/4" had to be connected too - works perfectly now. Thanks again!