Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is it safe to connect a Toneport UX2 to a real tube amplifier?

I'm planning to use the effects on my pc on a live situation. I'm wondering if it will not damage my amp if I connect the line out of the Toneport to it. Someone told me it's completely safe but another person told me that I need a reamp box so I do not damage my amp. Thanks for those who will answer.

You have to be careful not to overdrive the input of your amp - if you are plugging into the normal guitar input, it is expecting an instrument level signal, your Toneport will be giving it a line out signal - different impedance and strength.

Hi. What exactly do I need to do so that I send signal that's not too much for the amp to handle? 

What I do when I do this is adjust the tube amp so that I have a clean channel, keeping the drive low and the volume to around 30 -50%, the tone stack at 50%. With the output knob on the UX2 at 0 create a tone using the amp I want. In GearBox adjust the "out to hardware" to 100 % and unmute it 'cause I'm going to use the output knob on the UX2 to adjust my level while I adjust the amp model. This should get you going. Hope you have fun. Any questions just ask.

I've had quite a bit of fun with a Jet City Picovalve and TonePort UX2 and still do.

Thanks! I'm not really gonna use an amp modeler on the softwares but just the effect pedals. So basically I'm still gonna use my amp's sound :)
How do I make sure that I don't damage anything? Is there like a basis for allowed output or something? THanks!

So you have used the line out of the toneport ux2 to a tube amp and never damaged anything? well if that's the case then i guess it's safe 

I can relate to your concern with this. I've been using the UX2 since '08 and shortly after that I got an X3 Pro and have been using GearBox since. I still use GB but I now have a KB37 which came with PodFarm 2.57 which is surely an upgrade although I still like GearBox and will continue to use it.

Once you start to get familiar with clipping and digital clipping with the modelers it get very easy to just make a patch off the cuff. Your amp expects a guitar signal and now your going to use a line level which is hotter. I've done this a Spider Jam 75w (SS), Spider III 15 (SS), VOX Mini 3 (SS), Jet City Picovalve (tube) and a DT50 Head (tube) and still do from time to time. It's a great way to test out tones while creating them without using headphones for long periods of time at bedroom level or LOUD. There will be tweaking involved. Took me a long time to get really comfortable with it although I was learning how to play guitar at the same time. That was quite a bit for my coconut to handle, lol. Now I can have fun with it. My motto is "Start low and work up". Use that output knob and get familiar with whatever GUI and computer your using.

You can monitor your tone with headphones to build the tone first. Turn down the headphone knob and then turn up the output knob slowly to send it to your amp. Make sure you turn down the headphones before you take them off to listen with your monitor.

Edited by Brazzy

Are you saying that clipping should be my basis for signal that's not too hot for the amp?

You should have a good time gigging with it. I've run the UX2 for 24 hours at a time many times without a hitch. Although at the beginning it took some doing to get it reliable. Meaning that I had situations where the sound just stopped 'cause there were issues with my computer, so I took the time to sort all that out to were my system became reliable. You may have a better experience than I did. When I purchased the UX2 I was prepared to understand that I might have issues before becoming comfortable with it simply 'cause it was quite a bit (computer OS, Software, Guitar, etc.) for me to learn all at once and I'm pretty sure I'm always going to be learning now, lol.

I use clipping to know when I'm maxed out. I pretty much go by ear. You can get digital clipping within the signal chain.

Edited by Brazzy

• 2 months later...

I do something similar every week. I run podfarm through the ux2 to a 5150ii head and Marshall 1960 and it's pretty monster. I just use the effects return on the head and run to the analog out on the UX2. Definitely start at very low volume and work your way up.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if this is any help but I sometimes run my POD out into the R/L "line in" inputs on a Crate Powerblock. The POD takes full control and sounds absolutely stunning. The setup kills my Flextone III DEAD. I run it through an EMI Texas Heat speaker in a Tweed Deluxe cab...

So, I'd think if you have "line in" inputs or an FX loop that might be the way to go.

J