Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

GearBox, X3 Live & Yosemite... WORKING!

uslimey

Lots of users have been disappointed about the death of GearBox with Yosemite... Me too, but after hours of messing around I managed to install and run it successfully!

The problem that I and others experienced is that the installer package will not allow installation on the MAC HDD... I think it's a versioning issue (i.e. the version number for Yosemite is not recognized by the installer). Anyway I found a fairly simple workaround...

The solution is a follows:

• Download and open Gearbox 3.72.dmg
  • Right click the GearBox.mpkg icon
  • Left click 'Show Package Contents'
  • Double click 'Contents' folder
  • Double click 'Packages' folder
  • You should now see 10 individual packages... Install each one

Note: If you previously installed other Line 6 software with a newer driver, it will not allow you to install the drivers in this package... You will need to uninstall the newer drivers first, then you should be good to go. Search the forum for details on how to uninstall the drivers using command prompt. Someone else posted instructions on how to do this... They also suggested another driver to use... I tried to install that one first and it wouldn't let me, so I ended up installing the drivers from the from the GearBox package above...

Anyway, I am running Yosemite 10.10.1 on a MacBook Pro Retina, with a POD X3 Live, and so far it is working fine... No panic attacks... I was able to create and upload a tone to one of my user presets... 

By the way, before this, I did update the firmware on the X3 using a a separate version of Monkey that I had downloaded previously. I am not sure if this have any relevance with regard to MAC and the X3 playing nicely together once I reinstalled the old drivers.

• Upvote 1

This doesn't seem to work on my macbook 5,1. I installed all .pkg -files in the "Packages" -folder and while I was able to install and run gearbox it does not find my X3 Live device. Also L6 monkey does not show any drivers installed for X3 Live. 

i believe you have to uninstall current driver via terminal and reinstall older driver: (from package?)

(the versions may not be up to date... but the process will be the same)

To remove driver

1- On a terminal run this command   sudo pkgutil --forget com.line6.driver.xtaudio.package (enter)

2- Then this sudo pkgutil --forget com.line6.driver.xtmidi.package (enter)

3- Reboot

I did that and also removed all the rest of the line6 related files using this guide. http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/78391/

After clearing the files from the new driver I got all the old driver files in the gearbox "Packages" folder to install without errors. It just seems that the old driver does not work with Yosemite.

Can anyone confirm if they have gotten gearbox 3.72 to work using the method described in the 1st post?

Ok wow. I got it to work now! It seems that first you _must_ install the latest driver 7.3.7 (+ I also installed L6 monkey 1.68 and license manager 1.08). Then you use the commands what TheRealZap posted above to remove a part of the driver but _do not_ remove the driver files that are left behind (Which was what I was doing by using the instructions in the link I posted). And lastly you use the instructions in the 1st post to install the .pkg's in gearbox 3.72 (You probably cannot install the uninstaller or L2 monkey since a new version is already installed). Phew!

The interesting thing is that when I check L6 monkey for the driver version, it says 7.3.7 :D

Oh yeah: Thank YOU uslimey and TheRealZap! You are the greatest!

Thank you very much for the info it was very very helpful took care of it in 5 minutes, all I did was to open the folder & copy the items & it only copy the first 3 automatically & that was it. I was freaking out! My 2005 iMac G5 went dead & had to buy a mac mini to run all my software now in process of installing everything else. 1 down many to go, Thank 'Y'all. 

• 2 months later...

pAtAp's last post works for me.

however, when i got to the part where we follow uslimey's first post, my mac did not let me install all the packages. so i installed only the ones it did let me. This didnt seem to make a difference and Gearbox works fine now.

Thank you so much people.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

im having the same issue except my toneport UX2 is working perfectly for my speakers. what im afraid of is if i do the terminal thing and remove the drivers, will i lose my toneport driver too? just dont want the worst case scenario and find out that after i reboot and try to install the gearbox and toneport drivers and they dont work which would mean my speakers wont either. 

• 4 months later...

im not sure what country you're in.... but if you paid 785$ within the last 2 years for a processor that still uses gearbox...  ouch... just ouch.

Shouldn't that be easier ?

I bought a 785.00$ Pedalboard that isn't working after 2 year...

ShouldI buy Line 6 stuff, be a freakin computer nerd to make it work or go back to my JCM800 ?