Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Output mode/question

ivanh3

I am using a Pod Pro HD ProX. Recently I changed to a Peavey rack mount tube amp (classic series 50/50) running to a 2x12 cab with Celestion G12T75s for my live rig. Before I had been going direct to the live PA and used a Power Engine 60 along with house monitors for hearing myself on stage. In that configuration I used "studio/direct" as the output mode. My patches were using the full models (as opposed to pre's). 

With the Peavey/2x12 cab I would think the output mode would be set to "stack or combo power amp". When I do this the sound becomes thin and harsh. I have tried changing the patches to "pre" versions either with or without cabinet models. In all scenarios the sound is still thin/harsh. Right now I have set  it back to "studio/direct", pre version of patches with cabinets. It sounds alright. Perhaps a little compressed and boomy. Just for giggles I tried plugging into the effects return on a tube amp and it was the same issues.  

I did this before using a Pod HD500 and don't recall the thin/harsh sounds when I set output mode to power amp. Am I missing something?

Ivan

The output mode is just an EQ.  Studio/Direct is the full output with no EQ applied to it.  Atleast for me, I've found that when using a tube amp and cab the Pre Versions of the amps work better and then use the Low Cut under Cab Parameters to fix the boominess.  I set mine to 155hz.  Other people have found that not using the cab emulation in the PODHD works better for them.  But it seems that it's basically an EQ issue in getting this to work.