Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dt50 - Can Not Get To Work Well With Hd500

jpelzel

Ok - just can't get this thing to work with the hd. I rarely get to use any volume so only get to try a couple things here and there. Trying to do the 'Dream rig' thing. Here is the status...

No POD, guitar in. Low power mode. Chans A & B sound OK in various settings.

No POD, guitar in. Normal power mode. Chans A & B sound OK in various settings.

POD, variax in, Chan B (bypass ?) sounds fine. Chan A (POD pre amp) = OMFG WHY ARE YOU KILLING ME WITH THIS VOLUME THAT IS ABOUT A GAZILLION TIMES LOUDER, BRIGHTER, AND CLEANER THAN JUST USING THE DT AS IS????!!! I swear I think its going to shatter my ribcage.

I've read people stating that the pod doesn't sound quite like the 50, but that is not my concern. I just want it to sound like a usable amp in some way and not a sonic death ray.

All components have the latest update. Work fine on their own. POD is setting itself to combo out when connected. Connections are done via VDI & L6 Link.

Any help as to what the heck I am doing wrong?

OMFG WHY ARE YOU KILLING ME WITH THIS VOLUME THAT IS ABOUT A GAZILLION TIMES LOUDER, BRIGHTER, AND CLEANER THAN JUST USING THE DT AS IS????!!! I swear I think its going to shatter my ribcage.

turn the volume down on the 500? :wacko:

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the tweaking lounge! Each amp has different volumes. for example the clean Soldano is much softer than the Blackface Vib. Keep that in mind. These are the things that helped me....

1. Use the Hd Edit software when editing patches. It is much easier than scrolling through windows on the Pod.

2. Use the workbench to get your Variax model volume in line with your mag pickup volume. From the factory some of the model volumes are really hot.

3. Remember that fx have volume consequences. i.e If there is a distortion in the fx chain, check the output of the distortion. it may be too hot.

4. If you are using the Dream Rig to gig or any rig for that matter, you must MUST set your patches at volume. Meaning, turn it up like you are rocking a gig, then dial it in.

5. Make sure your output settings are where you want them. I use Combo Front and I tweak the focus a bit. Some like direct/studio. Personal choice. Figure it out.

Keep in mind that if you had physical access to all of the amplifiers that are represented in the Pod HD500, you'd have a crowded living room! :P

All of theses amps if you had them would require that you sit down with each of them and play with them to get them to sound the way you want them to. You won't turn up a 100 watt Boogie as loud as you would turn up a 50 watt Fender Bassman. Each is going to be eq'ed different and you may mic a 1x12 combo differently than you would mic a 4x12 stack. There is a boat load of fx that not only will color your tone, but will have an effect on your volume. 

Start small. pick one amp that you like. work with it until you get a kick butt tone out of it, then go from there.

You are not alone! I had the same issue, stick with it. 

• Upvote 2

Well heck. Didn't even dawn on me that the mixer was part of the equation. I mean there is no mixer in guitar>pedals>amp so wouldn't expect it in a 'virtual' situation.

Appreciate everyone's help.

Keep your ears on when adjusting the mixer volume. Too much reduction in that setting may color your tone.
  • Upvote 1