Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Years Nightmare!

Hi,

I play in a 6 piece covers band. 1 Fem & 4 male vox, Yamaha electronic kit & Tyros 5(through a rack mount DI), Spider 2 Valve (DI'd), Peavey Bandit (Micd) and Bass (DI'd). We use an M20d with 2 L3s, 2 L3t, and 2 L2t as monitors for front of stage with a couple of active wedges for keyboard player and drummer.

We do mainly corporate and function work as we're too big for most pubs. Had the Line 6 rig for year or so with no problems until NewYears eve when we had a particularly important gig with a good agent coming to see us with a view to pushing on in the new year. Started our first 45 mins set and had a great sound until about 6 songs in, at which point the keyboard channel (linked stereo pair) suddenly started to hiss, Really loud, and no keyboard sound. No matter what I did, other than turn the channel fader down, would stop the hiss. When I checked the trim level it was stuck maxed out even though I run auto trim (Godsend). I turned the fader down and moved the Tyros to another channel and patched the guitars through 1/4 inputs to free up XLRs for the Tyros, and we finished the set. During the interval I rebooted the M20d and the problem cleared. I put everything back to how it should be and we started the 2nd 45 mins. Again after about 5 songs, same problem. Rebooted 3 times before it cleared. Our 3rd set was fine though I did reduce the gain on everything just in case I was the problem!!

Question is, has anyone else had this problem or if not any ideas as the rest of the band have no faith in the set up now and want to go back to our old system of Behringer desk with Peavey amps and speakers and I'm getting a bit too long in the tooth for all that weight and wiring!!

Happy New Year everyone!

i experienced nearly the same problem while we played on new years eve. suddenly the whole m20d freezed. no more main-output. after an hour the monitors had no more output. i had to reboot the system twice this evening while the crowd was waiting. that is no fun!! back at home i did a reset to factory settings. i hope this will fix the problem. btw: the problem occured the first time AFTER i updated the unit to v.1.20

maybe there is a bug or something?!

Yeah I only recently updated the software. We were the same, having to ask the DJ to jump on and do a couple of numbers whilst we reset. Needless to say we haven't been taken on by the agent in question. He cited the problems with the system as his reservation and suggested we get a sound man with some reliable gear! Bit annoying when you've invested so much hard earned in a state of the art system.

Maybe it's some kind of Y2015 issue? :P

I have (on other less notable dates) had trouble with channels doing bizarre stuff and you just can't get it right.  Usually with stereo channels (keyboards or POD).

One of my go to fixes is unplug the instrument(s), delete the channel from the stage, recycle power on the M20D and re-install the instrument and channel.  Haven't had it happen several times in a night though.

It seems to me that, and L6 link connection problems have been 90% of the issues I've had with my system.  It's been pretty reliable for me though.  It will be a year in Feb and I've been gigging our 3-5 times a month

We've had random issues during rehearsals, some of which we can blame on ourselves accidentally changing someone else's settings via the iPad, but now that I see so many reports of complete random level changes from others I wonder if we're victims of the same sort of software glitches?

Got a bad feeling about this. No updates for a year.. Not good. Wonder if this mixer will ever see anymore support from Yamaha/Line 6?

The new Mackie 32 channel board is very tempting (we need 1 more monitor send than the m20d provides..)

I had a similar issue last month where I had been using an old ART SGX 2000 express during practice (2 - 1/4" linked stereo in combi jacks on m20d) for my rhythm guitar player and at the gig he bought his pedal board. no problem right?!?!? "I'll just use one of the inputs and mess with the trim" WRONG!!! all of a sudden I have this sound as if I was using an unshielded cable with a cranked to 10 Marshall guitar amp coming out of the mains and no matter what cable I used or settings I tried it still happened and after wasting almost all of the prep time before the gig I muted that channel and switched to an empty one and started fresh and all was well... when I got home the next day and thought about trying it with the Art again it still was doing it no matter what the setting so I deleted the channel and relinked and set up again and it's perfect now. That was with No reboot.

So save your setup for all the channels and if it happens again try just deleting that channel only and replug the inputs and load the setup or preset for that individual channel and don't reboot to see if it works and that will save time and a little face as well.

I thought maybe it was because I used a linked channel and only connected to one side but after reading this thread I am not so sure about that.

It is as if the settings for that particular channel got corrupted some how, I thought maybe because I tried to use just one side of the linked pair. But in these other cases it is when at normal use in a linked pair right? 

We've had random issues during rehearsals, some of which we can blame on ourselves accidentally changing someone else's settings via the iPad, but now that I see so many reports of complete random level changes from others I wonder if we're victims of the same sort of software glitches?

Got a bad feeling about this. No updates for a year.. Not good. Wonder if this mixer will ever see anymore support from Yamaha/Line 6?

The new Mackie 32 channel board is very tempting (we need 1 more monitor send than the m20d provides..)

I'm not sure WHERE Line 6 is headed... on a lot of the internet forums over the last two years, I've seen the Line 6 employees popping up with 'you should see what we can't talk about'.  The idea page has been running for over a year as well, and yet... very few, if any, updates or new products other than the bluetooth amps and the iOS interface.  The M20d has no sisters (the M36d, anyone? :) ) and the L series speakers have dropped in price.  Usually those signs point to either something new is coming out, or the line is being dropped.  As much as I LOVE my DreamStage setup, there clearly were a couple of issues with the design on the system.  The initial price and the number of inputs were very conflicting.  The aim was clearly at smallish bands, but the price was *way* up there.  This put the system out of reach for the majority of the target audience.  I just don't see the sales of the M20d being very high (or the L-series speakers).  Most of the local stores I know about sold only a handful at best, and that was when they were being cleared out.

Having said that, I love the fact that Line 6 put some thought into how the systems are being used.  I switched to a Mackie DL32R, and it works great with the L3T / S speakers.  I go L/R into the L3S, and digital out from there.  Great sound, and all of the inputs I need (plus a faster mixer interface for my workflow).  I wish Line 6 would have brought out a bigger mixer.  I think the M20d is still the best mixer with the best features out there.  It just doesn't have enough inputs...

• Upvote 1

So far, the DL32R has been stable.  There are a couple of missing features that didn't make it into the initial launch.  I saw a demo of the unit a couple of weeks before they were available, and the guy showed off a feature that isn't in the initial software.  I fully expect Mackie to continue to do updates.  They've already done one update to address some of the launch issues.  There are some hints that another update is coming out around NAMM, as the iPhone interface isn't working with the 3.0 iPad interface yet, and Mackie has a news bit that the iPhone update will be shown at NAMM with availability soon afterwards.  

I am using the Airport Extreme with the latest iPad Air 2 with the DL32R, and I haven't had the router and iPad hiccup except for once for a quick moment.  I've used it on  5 gigs so far.  The current M20d seems less stable than the Mackie, BUT, the M20d is doing a LOT more.  I'm missing the automatic feedback elimination and the multi-band compression the most.

Is anyone using a voltage regulator in their setup?

It might be a voltage issue affecting the  M20d.

My band has a gig in March at a large winemaker dinner. The event is in a large tent in a vineyard; they'll have a big generator. The winery has done this for years, so their generator setup is probably fine.

But I have a Furman AR-117 (now called the AR-1215) power regulator left over from my studio days. We'll use that unit for power distribution to the band equipment---just for protection. This unit doesn't merely suppress power surges: it accepts 90-140v and produces a clean 117VAC to its eight outlets.

I recall in my old house, when the central air conditioning kicked in, I'd see a momentary 104v dip on the unit, but none of the studio gear ever saw that dip.

At several hundred dollars, these units aren't cheap, but since I have it handy I'll use it. I doubt I'd buy one now for the band.

Good point, Don. But we do have other amplifiers and powered monitors onstage, so for a generator-powered gig I'll use the regulator. Even though it's only a 1RU size, I'm not going to lug that 11-pound unit to gigs where we already know the power situation!

And I will use the small Tripp-Lite UPS for the M20d and my keyboardist's Korg; gotta keep them digital units happy.

We've had this exact thing happen to us at a couple different shows.  Keyboard went crazy one night hissing and making strange noises.  Next time it was the bass that started distorting uncontrollably.  In our case, it turns out that the auto trim was cranking up the trim for some un-godly reason.  Only a power off would correct it.

• 8 months later...

Hi guys,

can anyone tell me where the heck I go to post a new thread.

My M20d wont recognise the latest update on my SD card yet it allowed the previous one to work and now my ipad won't talk to it and I can't find an update for stagescape on my ipad and would really like some ideas or help.

Cheers

Craig.

Yes - you must be viewing the list of topics ion a specific section of the user forums. In this case, you will see the following string (in a single line - not formatted as below) near the top of this page:

1. Line 6 Community
  2. → Community Support
  3. → Live Sound
  4. → StageScape Mixer / StageSource Speakers

Click on the final section and you will be presented with a list of topics. At the right hand side of the page at the top of the list you will see the Start New Topic button.

• 1 month later...