Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can Pod HD500 be controlled by other midi controller??

leleguitar

I own a pod hd500 for over 2 years now, I like this pedal a lot but lately i have been adding new pedals to my board and the hd500 all of the sunden is taking too much space and I hate to let it go. So I came up with an idea; I was wondering if I control the pod through another midi controller and have the pod set under my amp. If any one could help I would appreciate.

The hd500 has a midi input, so yes, you could do this. Take a look at the hd500 advanced guide, appendix b, for detailed info on the specifics. Don't know about, or haven't used, any external midi controllers, so maybe there are some individual quirks depending on the controller. But I have mine set up to be controlled from within Reaper, and while the functions you can control are pretty basic, it works.

That's what I thought you meant. The pod has a midi input, so it should work. Setting up whatever alternate midi controller you have might be different depending on what exactly it is. In my case, I brought up using a DAW to control the pod because the DAW would be one example of an alternate midi controller, as opposed to the pod's own built in controls.

I really do appreciate everyone's tesponce to this post. does any one of you know any midi foot-switch that would control the pod hd500 presets via Midi that I could buy? I have been looking these pedal from disaster area.

I'm by no means a midii expert, but looking at some of those from disaster area, is seems like you would have some control with most of those. I'm not sure specifically how it would work though. You're best bet would probably be to look at appendix b of the hd500 advanced guide to get the detailed info the hd500 would need as far as cc#'s and bank and program change messages and then look at disaster area's product info pages to see if you can figure out how it would specifically work, or how flexibly you can program these devices given how a lot of them have a limited number of switches. There seems to be a lot of info on those pages and some videos too. You could also contact them and ask them specifically about the hd500. I noticed that they mention the line 6 m9 and m13 devices.

Man those things are expensive.

As explained on the video, there's a list of MIDI commands on the POD's Manual which tells you what MIDI message will command what on the POD...for example: CC53 will toggle on or off footswitch 3, etc

All you gotta do is find some type of controller that sends these specific commands, or that can be programmed to do so! The POD can't learn new MIDI inputs, it's fixed to that list on the manual, so it's imperative that the controller can send those specific commands to operate the POD

Get one that you can program 

What exactly will you use the POD for? turn FX on and off?

I own a pod hd500 for over 2 years now, I like this pedal a lot but lately i have been adding new pedals to my board and the hd500 all of the sunden is taking too much space and I hate to let it go. So I came up with an idea; I was wondering if I control the pod through another midi controller and have the pod set under my amp. If any one could help I would appreciate.

I honestly think not make much sense what you want to do. The easiest and cheapest solution would be to have half POD under your amp, leaving out only the footswitches (or maybe just a row, whether it is enough for you).

I'd say the best would even be for you to have all your pedal board and POD under your amp (or wherever), and get a LINE 6 MIDI foot controler ( http://line6.com/footcontrollers/fbvshortboard.html ) connected to your POD which would be connected to all your pedals and control them over the fx send/return on a preset basis maybe, or as a pedalboard...whatever suits you best

the foot controller would be all that's in front of you and all your pedals, pod and amp would be stowed away somewhere

• Downvote 1

Hello Pugdealer,

It makes more sense what you explain I haven't thought about it. I'll definitely send them an email to ask if disaster area can communicate with my pod HD 500.

Want to like to do?

Like to keep the HUD 500 for the modulation and delays effects.

I really do appreciate everyone's tesponce to this post. does any one of you know any midi foot-switch that would control the pod hd500 presets via Midi that I could buy? I have been looking these pedal from disaster area.

What are looking to do? Simply change presets, or do want to turn individual effects on and off within presets as well? If you just want to switch presets, you can get away with something relatively small. Even something like the Tech 21 MIDI Mouse would work. If you want to do more than that, well, it can get complicated.

I have one of these that I was using to control my pedalboard for awhile. It's nice, but it has some learning curve. You really need to understand the basics of MIDI before you start looking for controllers, IMO. Otherwise, I think you'll be frustrated by the programming.

Hello Pugdealer,

It makes more sense what you explain I haven't thought about it. I'll definitely send them an email to ask if disaster area can communicate with my pod HD 500.

Want to like to do?

Like to keep the HUD 500 for the modulation and delays effects.

If that's all you want then a simple programmable MIDI foot controller will do!

I control two POD HD Pros via an RJM Mastermind GT along with a bunch of other gear also controlled via the GT. Works great. In fact a few features of the HD make it easier. I am almost certain that the midi implimentation of HD500 is the same as on the Pro.

On a POD patch I can assign which effects are controlled by which FS even though the Pro doesn't have FS. On one patch I have both PODs turn on two fuzz nd one filter using FS1 on each. Then on the GT I have a button that I assign to FS1 on both PODS. I click that button on the GT and those 6 effects are turned on at once. Pretty esy to set up.