Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tuning to - 12

Hello everyone!

I have my JTV 59 for a couple of weeks now and I am getting used to the sofware .Workbench hd

I have made an alternative tuning and downloaded it to the Variax from workbench hd and that worked fine.

Now I am trying to create a guitar with the strings tuned 12 semitones lower ,( one octave ) making it a bass guitar. This does not seem to work.

Is 'nt that possible or can sombody let me know how to do that.

Thanks, Pierre

Pierre, I tried this exact same thing with a Gretsch G6120 model. Results: It does sound somewhat like a bass on the lower strings, especially the low E and A. When playing chords, the normal top end response of that Gretsch model is way muted -- great for playing traditional jazz.

OK, you can get a similar sound on the Telecaster Thinline (neck pickup) model. I've had the flu and haven't had the energy to try my octave-down Gretsch model thru my amp with the bass control boosted and treble rolled off. But one other thing if you weren't aware of it -- a traditional hollowbody guitar with a humbucker at the neck will produce some pretty deep lows, especially thru a bass amp. 

With the virtual capo, the 12th fret is considered the 'nut'.

-hold down the model knob until the model and tuning knobs are flashing blue

-then turn the alt tuning knob to the tuning slot you want to over-write.

-slowly strum all six open strings one at a time - this is telling it to drop the pitch -12

-press the model knob once to review the new tuning

-if it's good press and hold the model knob to save