Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I seem to have an issue with the 'A' and 'D' string ringing out. I noticed the problem when I was doing some finger picking on the top 3 strings in an alternate tuning. For example, when picking the 'G' string at the 2nd fret (producing an 'A') the 'A' string rings out at the same time in sympathy. The problem is if you're in an alternate tuning e.g. one semi-tone down, then this is very discordant. It happens with several strings in various places on the neck.

I have raised it as an issue with Line 6 and I'm now awaiting a reply. Has anyone else found a solution to this problem?

Actually, I've just realised. You would expect that if the guitar is in alternate tuning mode then any strings that produced a note (even if resonating in sympathy with another string) would be in the alternate tuning. e.g. an open 'A' string would produce an 'Ab' if detuned by a semi-tone in software. However it seems to produce an 'A'. I'll need to verify when I get home tonight but I'm sure that's what it is doing. Very strange.

Actually, I've just realised. You would expect that if the guitar is in alternate tuning mode then any strings that produced a note (even if resonating in sympathy with another string) would be in the alternate tuning. e.g. an open 'A' string would produce an 'Ab' if detuned by a semi-tone in software. However it seems to produce an 'A'. I'll need to verify when I get home tonight but I'm sure that's what it is doing. Very strange.

Are you sure you aren't hearing the acoustic vibration of the A string directly - in addition to the amplified and pitch-shifted tone?  I'm always surprised at how even small amounts of "leaked" sound from the strings themselves can be audible above the amplification.  Even with headphones on I've been fooled by this a number of times. 

Are you sure you aren't hearing the acoustic vibration of the A string directly - in addition to the amplified and pitch-shifted tone?  I'm always surprised at how even small amounts of "leaked" sound from the strings themselves can be audible above the amplification.  Even with headphones on I've been fooled by this a number of times. 

that's posibool

No, It's definitely coming from the amp rather than directly from the strings. I can hear a certain amount of sounds from the strings but this is as loud as the amp. Also, the longer you let it go on the worse it gets almost like feedback.

Try recording a sample. Compare the recorded sound to what you hear when playing live. Does the symptom exist in the recording?

Good idea. I'll try that tonight.

Can you post sound samples on here? Might be easier if people can hear what I'm hearing.

Yes, you can post sound samples. But you'll be able to interpret the test yourself. If you hear the symptom in the recording then there's an issue to troubleshoot; if the symptom is not apparent in the recording then you know it comes from the inherent string resonance that you hear when playing live but is not coming from the processed output of the guitar and will not be audible to an audience or in a recording.

Try recording a sample. Compare the recorded sound to what you hear when playing live. Does the symptom exist in the recording?

That is absolutely the only way to tell.  I've been amazed at how resonant the JTV-59 is.  I have an old Variax 300 as well and playing that in an open tuning through an amp at moderate volume I can't hear the acoustic sound at all.  Change to the JTV-59 and you'd swear something was wrong - sometimes it sounds like an out of tune 12 string.  Even in headphones it seems to break through a bit.  But record it (or wear really well sealed headphones) and it's fine! I'll be interested to hear how you, MrSqueaky, get on.