Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Very noisy POD HD Pro

scottietmurder

So I keep getting this noise from my POD HD Pro and I've somewhat had this problem for a long time now, It makes it very hard to play or record with it.

-it does it with my patches and some of the premade patches from the factory.

-depending on the patch it may be a constant noise or patchy in and out noise.

-when i palm mute especially it makes the noise.

- it does it with my passive and active pickups in multiple guitars.

-It also does it on a completely empty patch for when i want to record dry, as soon as I upload a patch from EZMix 2 it starts with that noise.

I've tried disconnecting it from the computer, different speakers, differect cables, ive tried bringing it to a different outlet with just the pod and my guitar ad headphones and i still have the problem. so far nobody has given me any advice that has worked, the main answer I get is noise gates and I generally have 1-3 noise gates on at once, I'm trying to find some kind of solution, something that will work and not compromise my tone at all. PLEASE HELP!!!!! I AM LOSING MY MIND!!!

http://soundcloud.com/scott-attaway-jr/badnoise

OK not so sure its a gate issue.  I often don't need any gates and NEVER more than 1.  You say it does this with a blank patch?  Lets start from scratch.

1. save your patches to the computer and then reflash the POD with the latest firmware, not saving any tones.

2. change to an empty setlist and a blank patch.

3. connect your guitar, turn everything on and what have you got?  Should be dead quiet, no noise at all.

4. if this is good, add an amp model and recheck.  should be quiet still except for some hiss with the high gain models like F-Ball or Elektrik.

Let me know how this goes and we can keep troubleshooting.

How old is the electrical wiring in your house? Have you tried an outlet in someone else's home?

(getting back to the most basic troubleshooting first lol)

If its an old house and not wired well this 'could' be a cause. I'm making no assumptions I just had to ask first.

What are Inputs A and B set to?

Default is every source on A and B set to the same.  If Mic is included and the trim knob is up the Mic input can generate quite a lot of hiss, so you should remove all unused sources from the inputs list to minimise noise.

Change A so that it is only guitar and B to Same or Variax (depending on the input level you want - same gives double the level)

I will try these this week, @stormstudios I was thinking the same thing because my friend has the HD Pro X and he says he gets no noise at his house but at mine he does...my house has knob and tube wiring and is from 1946 so I was thinking bad electrical

Take yours to his house and try it. Actually I doubt it is the wiring since you said there is no noise until you add an amp model. If it was the wiring, the noise would most likely be there all the time...

Finish the troubleshooting and lets find out where the problem lies.   A DI box will definitely not help you at this point.

The adapter would have to be in very poor shape to affect your sound.

It's possible the wiring may be contributing to the problem (knob and tube!! haven't seen that in forever), but to my ears, it does sound like weird gating, and with hi-gain patches, any little quirk that slips thru the gate gets exaggerated. I've even heard springs on a tremolo bridge added to some recordings.

But to ratadats point, go thru process of elimination to get to the route cause(s).

sounds like you have a bad ground. i had a similar problem, a little noise on a clean / empty patch, witch i didn't notice, but when i added a high gain amp like the tread plate i got noise as loud as my actual guitar signal. i found that my guitars internal wiring was frayed and wasn't providing a good enough connection to the ground side of the lead. this has the same effect as a bad lead so be sure to check your pod with your friends guitar and swap leads. also make sure that the power cable you are using is a balanced one so no charge is on the pods chassis. another quick test is to load up a patch with no noise gates and a high gain amp, then check the noise when you take your hands on and off the strings/metal parts of the guitar. if the noise level drops when you are touching the metal then the guitar is grounding through you which proves you have a grounding problem.