Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Having the same sound live and studio with POD HDnnn(x)

Hi,

I am searching the forum and the entire web for an answer but couldn't find one. I have a POD HD 300 (changing to a 500x soon) and I have set it up for studio recording. Now I wanna have the same sound live. What is the best way to do it (without connecting to a PA)? I mean having it sounding when rehearsing or playing live in small environments.

Is it best just to connect it to an active box or speaker? Or is it better to use an amp?

Thanks for every suggestion.

Fred

If you are set up for studio recording and want to keep the same patches/tones then you really need a FRFR (full range, flat response) system to play through.  Suggest a quality active PA speaker designed to do just that.  If you want to keep the stereo effects get two of them.  If you go with an amp you will have to rework your tones to compensate for the different frequency response capabilities of guitar amp speakers and cabs.

• Upvote 2

Hi Fred

My rig is JTV-HD500_Stagesource L3m, which I use for recording and playing live. This is a very flat system but even with this set up my patches don't sound the same in the studio versus live because of the extra volume live work entails (the Fletcher Munson curve). I find I have to take some of the bottom end out of the tone for live work.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

thanks for your suggestions. I am still not sure what to buy. The stage source series seems to be the best fitting since is from line 6, too, isn't it if you just go for an active speaker? Or is there anything else, maybe a little smaller?

Cheers

Fred

Hi guys,

thanks for your suggestions. I am still not sure what to buy. The stage source series seems to be the best fitting since is from line 6, too, isn't it if you just go for an active speaker? Or is there anything else, maybe a little smaller?

Cheers

Fred

Hi Fred.

My L3 is 1400w. I have it set to the 12 o'clock notch position as recommended throughout the forums. With the L3 set like this the POD acts as a master volume and never really gets past 10 o'clock i.e. there is TONS of spare headroom. I have never played through an L2 but at 800w I would have thought it was plenty loud enough and a lot more portable than my L3 for most live situations.

Once you get you're HD500x you'll find either L2 or L3 works fantastically well with it. Good luck whatever you decide.

• 3 months later...

Hi all!

Finally I've got my L2m and did my first tests. I have a XLR cable connected via L6 link but it's not working at all. Probably a bad cable. I will try as soon as possible with a new one (but when it still doesn't work?). Since I have no other one here at the moment I tried just a normal cable to the line input which was working at least. Tried the different settings and found that the guitar settings are the worst. The most similar sound to my studio sounds I archived with the PA settings. Does anyone has a better suggestion?

Thanx

Fred

What kind of cable does L6 LINK use?

L6 LINK works with a standard XLR cable. Because the quality and manufacturing processes of XLR cables vary widely, we can’t guarantee the performance of any particular XLR cable. However, if you are looking for a cable to use with L6 LINK, we recommend the Classic Series Microphone Cable (25 ft.) from Planet Waves, which was among the best we tested.

What brand is your cable? Apparently not all XLR cables will work in the L6 Link port. I found this on their product page for it. I know the official cable Line 6 sells is an AES/EBU cable if that helps.

So I have tested now 4 different kind of XLR cables. None of them AES/EBU though. But none of them is working at all. What does it mean? It's only working with digital ones or might I have another problem? Is there anything to be changed in the POD maybe?