Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Gambled and lost...

Well I finally completed the Dream Rig a couple of weeks ago with the adition of an L2T...was thrilled with it until a couple of hours ago. The very first time I got to stretch it's legs and play at stage volume the dreaded fan assembly rattle reared it's ugly head. Horrible noise.

I waited almost a year to drop the $$ on one of these things because there were way too many complaints about this. The fix has been around for at least six months now, and I even inquired of the dealer as to how long their stock had been there before I purchased, and was told not more than a couple of weeks, so I figured I was safe. Apparently not...

Back to the drawing board. Will see what Sweetwater tells me tomorrow, but the site says they are out of stock at the moment. Not sure I want another one anyway. Not insterested in swapping them out multiple times until I get one that works. Since units with the old fan are obviously still shipping, there doesn't seem to be any way to guarantee that the next one will have the new fan. Seriously considering going with the Atomic Reactor series instead. These defective units should not still be shipping from L6 at this point. Not a happy camper...

I doubt that the fan-flawed units are still being shipped. More likely you got an older unit despite what the retailer told you. It could also have been sitting at the local distributor for quite some time, post-Line 6 and pre-retailer.

I would open a support ticket and get Line 6 help to make sure you get a more recent replacement or get it repaired at a no cost to you.

I doubt that the fan-flawed units are still being shipped. More likely you got an older unit despite what the retailer told you. It could also have been sitting at the local distributor for quite some time, post-Line 6 and pre-retailer.

I suppose that is possible...however, that means that it really is impossible to tell what you're gonna get, and somewhere one or more poor schmucks will get units with the old fans 2 years from now.

We'll see what happens...

That's true - you really can't tell at the retail level when a particular unit rolled off the assembly line, unless that info is embedded in the serial number. And to my knowledge it is not embedded in the speaker products.

That's why it may be better to get your unit repaired at no cost than get it replaced. First, you won't have a repeat experience; it will be fixed. And second, you'll be taking a flawed unit out of circulation so that nobody else will get the same flawed unit sometime later. Won't that just make you feel all warm and fuzzy?

"...you really can't tell at the retail level when a particular unit rolled off the assembly line, unless that info is embedded in the serial number."

One would think manufacturing-date is implicit in the serial number: generally, lower numbers were manufactured before higher numbers. Most engineering change documentation includes and effective date of a part change, and often an exact serial number at which the change took place. Some companies even change a letter or number within the number to indicate changes, e.g. A00001 vs B00001 or 800001 vs 700001, things like that.

But certainly the retailer and user wouldn't have this info.

Correct - Line 6 would know the manufacturing date and engineering specifics based on the serial number, but we don't.

That's right. Somebody knows, but they ain't talkin'. Seems to me that they would save themselves a whole lot of grief...not mention all the money that gets spent on return shipping and repair of affected units, if they would just tell us what batch of serial #'s are affected. Its on the JTVs, so why is it a secret with other stuff?